This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37594 June 28th, 2005 at 07:34 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello all,
A few months ago I bought a Desert rose (adenium obejum). Now according to what I have read online it is normal after blooming for it to loose it's leaves and go into a rest period. My question is is there anything I should do at this point. Should I cut back the green stems, stop watering? Any help would be great. I really like this plant and I want it to do well.

#37595 June 28th, 2005 at 09:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Terry,

Desert rose (Adenium obesum) is a succulent member of the Oleander family. (Note: Oleander family member plants are poisonous to pets and children.) In fact, many desert roses are actually grafted onto an oleander before they are sold. The grafted version will grow faster and produce more flowers. The non-grafted form has a bulbous, water-storing stem at the base (called a caudex). The grafted desert rose has a long, thin stem with a grafting lump higher up on the stem.

Desert rose must be in direct sun all year round if you want it to flower. That pretty much limits it to an unobstructed south-facing window.

In winter, desert rose has a dormant period during which it should be allowed to dry completely and kept in cool temps (55 to 60 degrees). It will shed most of its leaves during dormancy so don"t be alarmed. In the spring, resume normal watering and fertilize sparingly.

flowers usually appear in April and again in September. In late fall, as the light decreases, leaves will start to drop. That is a signal that it is going into its dormant period.

Grafted desert roses can withstand warmer temps in winter and should be fertilized a bit more frequently.

#37596 July 2nd, 2005 at 03:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will,

If desert roses require year round direct sun to bloom, is it a waste of time trying them in the PacNW where it rains all winter? Will they tolerate little sun during dormancy?

#37597 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Cricket,

I am depressed just reading your description of PacNW winter weather!

I never say never, but I would have to say that the odds are against good desert rose flowering in your location. However, given your relatively mild climate, perhaps you can keep one outside longer and that might be enough to make up for the lack of indoor winter light.

Why don't you try one and report back to the rest of us on your success or lack thereof.

#37598 July 3rd, 2005 at 12:35 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
I live in zone 4 and mine blooms smile I keep mine inside in a sunny window ^.^

~Phoebe

P.S. I remember when i first joined the forum and Mr. Creed gave me the exact same answer on how to care for one lol. It started losing its leaves, and that's cuz i was taking too much care of it >.o so i started neglecting it, i water it once every other week or so, and its got new leaves, new branches, and a neat-o flower on the end of one branch laugh

#37599 July 3rd, 2005 at 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would have to say that the odds are against good desert rose flowering in your location.
Why don't you try one and report back to the rest of us on your success or lack thereof.
My thoughts exactly! thumbup

#37600 July 3rd, 2005 at 05:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for letting me know that, Phoebe. Amazing what a little benign neglect can do sometimes!

Go for it Cricket and good luck!

Will

Link Copied to Clipboard