This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37363 July 26th, 2005 at 09:37 AM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys, my neighbor has some black eyed susan bushes she wants thinned out ASAP. I offered to do this in hopes of getting a start for myself. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Should I just make sure to dig the roots and then plant them here in my yard or should I dead head them and then dig the roots and plant? I want to make sure that her plant and mine are both healthy. They bought the house from a crazy woman who put in way too much and it looks like a jungle over there in the raised beds. You cant even see half the flowers. I have been working on them trying to save them because the new owners hate it all. They are about to pull it all out and just put in rocks. I hate to see them kill all those flowers. I think with some care and work we can thin them out and transplant what needs done to satisfy everyone.

#37364 July 26th, 2005 at 09:54 AM
Wow I never heard of a black eyed susan bush...is that different from the 'regular' black eyed susan flowers? Sorry I'm not much help Duh

#37365 July 26th, 2005 at 09:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karrie,
eyed susan bushes
A BLACK~EYED SUSAN, BUSH?????????

Got a picture for us...
Black~eyed susan's aren't bushes????? frown
(*that I know of)

They're a biennel, the leaves appear
the first season and then the flowing year
they flower, and after that they die....
But reseed pretty good!!!!

Love to see a picture??????
Got one???
That would reallllllllllllly be helpful..

#37366 July 26th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
( wavey Hi Mary, you snuck in while
I was typin'!!!) wink laugh thumbup

#37367 July 26th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
wink quick fingers Weezie laugh

#37368 July 26th, 2005 at 11:01 PM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok well the old lady that lived there said that is what they were. They look like bright yellow daiseys with large black centers. I kinda though it strange too as all the black eyed susans I have had they all vine, but you never know. Let me see if I can find a photo of some sort. Here they are.....photo says black eyed susans also
Blackeyed susan picture

#37369 July 26th, 2005 at 11:03 PM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok I think I know what I did its not a bush...sorry it just looks like a bush at this point its such a mess. I knew better then that. lol I confess I am a hillbilly I say what I see, not what I know. lol

#37370 July 26th, 2005 at 11:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
No, that's okay, that's how we learn...

What she had was probably a number of
plants all together, like when the seed
head would fall to the ground and have all
the seeds sprout right in that general area..

And have a perfuse amount of blooms...

Not sure about how to go about it...
Usually the year they flower..
The next they don't..
but you'd have another grouping I suppose
in that area if you dug a chunk of the soil
all the way around those plants...
Seems like there should be some seeds and or
roots that would be good for next year I'll bet...

Give it a try..
You never know unless you try and do it....

And just so you know, I'm going to rename your file thingie there so the picture fits on the page, it's going wayyy off the end of mine...

#37371 July 27th, 2005 at 12:36 AM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Weezie. XOXOXOX

#37372 July 27th, 2005 at 02:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey anytime....
I know what it's like to talk to a LONG TIME
GARDENER, and they know what THEY ARE TALKIN' 'BOUT, but I DIDN'T!!!

So, glad to help....

And our main goal is that you get really good at gardening, very knowledgable and in turn, help
another fellow gardener out when they are just starting out!!!

And don't hesitate to ask anymore questions you have..
ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP plants!!!
AND NEW GARDENER'S!!!

#37373 July 27th, 2005 at 03:40 AM
A
A
Only Rudbeckia hirta is biennial (like "Irish Eyes" and "Indian Summer")....the other black eyed susans are perennial (Rudbeckia fulgida) like "Goldstrum". They all will reseed like crazy if allowed.

#37374 July 27th, 2005 at 03:53 AM
Karrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Well the lady just bought and bought and planted and planted with no regards to the plants spreading or even being able to see the sun. She has those susans planted right in front of astitac lillies. You couldnt even see the lilly blooms at all. I am not sure if she tried to use any logic at all or if she just put things in to fill it. For 3 summers I watcher her fill and fill and fill every time I turned around there were scattered miracle grow pots everywhere. I try to make my gardens pretty and leave room for spreading and for a few annuals each year. I am one who has to buy 2 of everything for semetry. I took some pictures for you all to see what I have accomplished this year. Gotta go get them developed at the lab this week. I cannot wait to show off a lil of my areas. I am proud of what I have gotten accomplished. But so so much more to do! Not that I mind at all!

Link Copied to Clipboard