This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37241 June 24th, 2005 at 08:50 AM
OP Offline
Two years ago I planted some store bought brussel sprout plants. They were soooooo good! I harvested the sprouts on a very warm January day - they had lived through a few freezes already. Last summer I did not plant any new brussel sprouts, and the original ones came back but just in flowers and a few seeds. This summer they are back with a vengence with flowers and a whole tons of seed heads. Can you make out all the long, thin seed heads on these plants? Won't be having any brussels this year, but should be getting tons of seeds to trade! thumbup

[Linked Image]

Just bought these banana pepper plants the other day - they already had all these peppers on them, and more flowers. Grew them last year - they are not spicey at all - thankfully. One year I grew jalapenos that were sooooooooo spicey I couldn't give them away - even to friends who like them the hotter the better!
[Linked Image]

Last but not least, my cherry tomato plants. Every year they reseed themselves and I have to pull them out or give them away.
[Linked Image]

Ain't gardening grand?!? cool

#37242 June 24th, 2005 at 10:52 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
my cherry tomato plants. Every year they reseed themselves and I have to pull them out or give them away.
You sound like me Lynne, I am still pulling out
tomato plants, I worked the soil up, added some
composted manure, flattened it all out, and
I GOT MORE perpl seedling'S perpl POPPIN' UP!!!
Talk about weeds!!!! :shk wink laugh

Same for the jalapeno's, I only had one girl that would take them, she made jams, jelly's, salsa's, etc. out of them..
* I grow them, just for a handful or two,
to make fresh salsa, but they just
produce and produce...*

I gotta find a recipe to pickle
*or what ever you call it*, `em up!!!!

I love your picture of the brussel sprouts
going to seed, beautiful yellow flowers..
I let my raddish's go to seed and they have a beautiful pink/white/purple(ish) flower to them..
And great for beneficial's too!!!

I had radish seeds over winter too, go figure..
Unbelievable.. I had a big plot I let go last year, and when they started poppin' up in the spring, I couldn't believe my eyes..
And I'm even havin'g some marigolds re~seed..
I gotta stop the insanity!!!
(**I should go post that in that other post
about not being able to pluck an unwanted volunteer..**)

#37243 June 25th, 2005 at 09:06 AM
I love brussel sprouts but have never grown any. Evidentially they are cold weather plants??? Should I plant in the fall?

I've never had any of my vegetables reseed. That's great.

#37244 June 30th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My dad planted some brussel sprouts this spring......every single year we've lived here he's grown them actually.....He gets some really late harvests off of them too......I used to not like them when I was little, but since I've gotten older I just love them....Good roughage as my dad would say!! smile

#37245 July 1st, 2005 at 01:22 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Brussel spouts with a butter herb sauce yummy!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard