This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36806 June 24th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
OP Offline
After keeping many seedlings alive indoors I transplanted most of them last week, and I think they're all dead. mad So today I planted some seeds outdoors:

Poppies
Pumpkins
Hollyhocks
Sweet peas
Sunflowers
A small packet of wildflower mix I got for free in the mail... LOL!
Cobacea

I hope these all live! Living in a new area with a new planting zone is giving me a rough start this year, plus I'm not that experienced. So I'm trying to be patient with myself and at least I'm having fun! :rolleyes: wink

#36807 June 24th, 2005 at 04:32 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Do you know why the transplants died?

I did that to a lot of mine because I didn't harden off the first group. The second group I didn't fertilize the week before and I didn't have them in jiffy pots so I was trying to break apart clumps of plants with intermingled roots. The transplant shock was really bad. But I'll know better next time.

#36808 June 24th, 2005 at 04:58 AM
I moved some cal. poppy and it's all but completely gone. Of course I re-read the directions, and I was supposed to direct sow them. Learning experience #5,438. Try to figure out where you went wrong, and then call it a learning experience. How's that for pollyana, T? LOL!

#36809 June 24th, 2005 at 03:34 PM
A
A
I recently married and got a new yard! Yay me! uh huh, right. We have 26 pine trees on a corner lot, approx 1 1/2 acres. That's aLOT of pine needles. I raked and raked and raked, finally tilled in some flower beds, planted hundreds of thousands of Zinnia seeds. Everyone can grow Zinnias, right? Must have gotten a terrible batch of seeds. I have exactly 6 plants. They're blooming. They're pretty...but they are lonely. I also ordered some bulbs from a company online, spent way too much money! When the plants and bulbs arrived they were mildewed, broken and fried. I attribute that to the postal system. Only about 10 of the bulbs (out of the 500 or so I bought) are living. I am not impressed. In my excitement upon their arrival I neglected to save the "original packing label" and can not get my $ back, orrrrr get replacement plants. A word to the wise...save those darn packing labels! Thankfully, my mother-in-law is an avid gardener, and has supplied me with her "extras" and I have wound up with several beds FULL of pretty plants and flowers. I have learned patience, tolerance, and the value of saving packing labels...lol. Oh yeah...and to NEVER mail order plants! The company I used was a reputable dealer, and you probably have their catalog on a table by your favorite chair! Buyer BEWARE!!

#36810 June 24th, 2005 at 06:59 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Great pollyanna Mary. I got a chuckle out of that is morning.

Angelastreefrog, Hi & Welcome to the forum. Mail order can be painful. I have had very good luck with Brecks. Those pine needles have made the soil very acid more than like so you might want to get one of those soil tester kits. I've heard you can get them for about 10.00. And they could easily save you hundreds in lost plants.

Other things to consider when you are thinking about putting plants in a certain location are the amount of sun the spot gets. If the spot is extra dry or wet. These things can make the difference between sucess and failure. I planted and then found the forum so I had some big losses early this year. But I counted yesterday and I have 16 different types of plants in the garden and they are all healthy so I am really pleased.

Link Copied to Clipboard