This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36772 June 3rd, 2005 at 02:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had a minor problem with aphids but took care of it with soapy water. Now I have these brown spots...could they be damage from the aphids or is it something else?

[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn

#36773 June 3rd, 2005 at 09:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I can't really say...
*what it looks like, I've never had*

But sometimes, aphids are caused by....
Wrong growing conditions.....
Too much nitrogen......

Tell use how you're growing it?
ie; sunlight, watering, ferlizers, how old is it?
Did it give you a growing zone for that plant??
Or is the mulch up too close to the stem?

Weezie

#36774 June 3rd, 2005 at 09:20 PM
LMT Offline
I like the soapy water trick, I use lemon scented and drizzle it straight out of the bottle then mist the tree (shrub, ground or whatever).

Pear Rust Mite? Maybe.

If you have a juicer, I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister (like an empty 16-24 ounce fantastic or windex bottle) and mist the tree down and see if that doesn't arrest the development over the next couple weeks.
Linky

--

The poster former known as NearWater.

#36775 June 4th, 2005 at 11:19 AM
That looks a lot like anthracnose. A fungal disease. It can be organically treated by a treatment with bordeaux sprayed 3 times 7 days apart. Don't spray when the flowers are open and spray again once the fruit has set. This is a common problem with mango too. It gets on the young fruit and they go black and drop off. Looks identical to what you have on the pear.

#36776 June 4th, 2005 at 01:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister
I've never tried garlic,thanks Duh

G-Mom grinnnn

#36777 June 4th, 2005 at 05:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I thought the same thing G~mom!!! wink wink

#36778 June 4th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
LMT Offline
Originally posted by gardenmom32210:
[QB] [QUOTE] I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister
I've never tried garlic,thanks thumbup I usually put a handful of dried arbol peppers with dish soap in a jug and let it stew. I put it in a mister and spray away! It works great on all of my plants,for all of the bugs thumbup

Hot peppers are excellent. Their oil is an excellent solvent for sticky garlic oil as well. It's as if they are natural companions, they are on my garlic bread.

#36779 June 5th, 2005 at 11:07 AM
a treatment with bordeaux sprayed
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOL. It's also called "bluestone" and was discovered to be a natural fungicide in Bordeaux in France so was used on grapes. (Thus the Bordeaux you drink i guess). They're hard to mix up though. One's a blue powder, the other i assume to be red liquid. I'm sure it's available for you. Google "bordeaux fungicide" for a wealth of information. If it is anthracnose, and there is plenty of info on the google suggesting that pears are susceptible, i've found it to be a great preventive and cure. I have anthracnose probs on my mangoes in a wet summer.

#36780 June 5th, 2005 at 02:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't find "fungicide bordeaux" over here,so I'll just pick up a good all-purpose fungicide.

Thanks kissies

G-Mom grinnnn

#36781 June 5th, 2005 at 02:15 PM
I'll just pick up a good all-purpose fungicide.
++++++++++++++++++
try some copper-oxychloride then GM. Very handy for other more serious fungal problems, also good for coating vege seeds you collect yourself to store until next year. Though i still prefer bordeaux........the drink too;)

Link Copied to Clipboard