This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36756 July 12th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have 4 habenero plants. The first 3 are in a big clay pot have only grown 0-2 peppers each plant, I have counted a total of 4 on the plants at this point. The flower stems keep turning yellow and then theflower and stem falls off. My main concern is my other plant which is huge and I counted 27 peppers on it this morning. The peppers have been growing for about 1 month now and none have changed from green to orange or red. On this huge plant the leaves sometimes turn yellow and will fall off if barely touched. All of my other leaves are green and look very healthy. I was wondering if anyone knows why the leaves keep randomly turning yellow and falling off even though the rest of the plant is super healthy. Also how long does it take for the pepper to change color?

#36757 July 12th, 2005 at 11:19 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
It rather sounds like the plants are lacking water or fertilizer. That also slows down the ripening process I think. Make sure you are deep watering a day or two per week rather than shallow watering several times per week. Mulch might help too.

#36758 July 12th, 2005 at 11:40 PM
Most peppers change colors in 2-3 weeks. Depends on the variety. Sounds like you have a great crop going!

#36759 July 13th, 2005 at 02:28 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I shallow water the plants 2x a day so I know it is not lack of water. I use the Oscomote 4month slow release fertalizer as well as miracle-gro instant release every other week. How do I "deep water" the plants? I do use mulch in the soil mix as well. It just makes me mad that the plant losses 3-7 leaves a day due to them turning yellow. I havent noticed thinning though there are tons of leaves and lots of new ones every day. Any way to make the peppers change color? Will they be just as hot green??

#36760 July 13th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
P
P
I've grown habenero peppers for a few years now. They take much longer than most other hot peppers before they will change color. They may be green for a month before they will turn orange or red. I don't know of a way of speeding up the process. They should be as hot. The flavor deepens as they ripen, but the heat should still be that burn your tongue to the point it hurts heat. If you've got a lot of peppers, pick one and test it out.

#36761 July 13th, 2005 at 01:00 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Awesome thanx for the response everyone so far.

Link Copied to Clipboard