This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hi, Big Jim here:

I searched and could not find anything similar to this, but I figured it would be a popular question...

Which plant or plants are absolutely best for bare minimum light? I am talking about 1 hour of low artificial light followed by 8 hours of light so low you could barely read by it. Yes, I would like to put a plant in my windowless bathroom.

I saw some moss growing in a cave in Tennessee. Will anything else work besides that? smile Daily bursts of warm humidity as well.

Thanks!

Big Jim

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jim,

No doubt someone will volunteer some candidates for your lightless bathroom. However, no plant will survive for more than a year or so in those conditions. It is really a question of which plants might hang in the longest.

My candidates for longevity before death are ZZ plant, cactus, snake plant and pothos.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cast Iron plant is supose to survive in real low light conditions. But it may be alittle big for a bathroom. My bathroom is very small. It won't flower though.

zhu Offline
Jim,

I had the same windowless bathroom problem and found that a maidenhair fern and a spider plant happily adjusted (provided they were taken out for a daily light fix once a week).

wavey Zhu

hmm.. here's a thought that might/might not be something you're willing to try: Had you thought about maybe switching over to low watt Compact Fluorescent lights? Many of them can screw right into regular light sockets. Lots of the Compact Fluorescent lights have really low watt usage, (something like 12, 27) etc. and could maybe be economical enough to have on a little more than usual. I'm just thinking change the light circumstance, and then you have possibly a lot more options. I don't know if that helps.. but that was my thought on it. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard