This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36699 July 1st, 2005 at 10:07 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
At Vacation Bible School, last week, my daughter started some sunflowers. Basically, they threw several seeds into a Styrofoam cup with about 1 1 /2 inches of soil. They have shot up quickly & are very shallow. I am transplanting them to pots. My question is this: The plants have been inside the entire time....can I abruptly put them outside in direct sunlight or does it need to be gradual? I just put them in Miracle Grow Gardening soil in clay pots (that's the only good soil & empty pots I have, right now). Any pointers, so that I don't kill my daughter's sunflowers?

#36700 July 2nd, 2005 at 05:40 AM
I wouldn't move them right out into direct sunlight, just to be on the safe side. When you do transplant them, be prepared for them to look really bad at first. Try to do it on a cloudy day, and give them plenty of water immediately, and you should be fine. How big are they? I would think that the younger the plant, the better off you'll be. Also, don't be surprised if they seem sort of "stunted" for a while-they should shoot up eventually, and even if they don't, they'll most likely still produce flowers. Good luck!

#36701 July 2nd, 2005 at 05:46 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rozy...I was afraid to put them right out and today is a cloudy day.

Link Copied to Clipboard