This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3666 January 30th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you make your own veggie, chick or beef broth?
or just buy it?

If you make your own,I am wondering the different styles of doing so? if you care to share..:-)

#3667 January 30th, 2007 at 09:07 PM
I have done both. When I make mine, it usually ends up being the base for the soup I do that day. Most often it is chicken and I add the chicken pieces, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, basil and bay leaf and let that simmer most of the day. Debone the chicken then and add the rest of what I want for the soup.

#3668 January 30th, 2007 at 09:34 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Triss;-) I was wondering also about soup bones, I have a ton...and I know you have to skim it after it cools etc...

#3669 January 30th, 2007 at 09:44 PM
That I do not know about. I keep the oils created in my soups cuz I do not let the broth cool and separate.

#3670 January 30th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks thumbup

#3671 January 31st, 2007 at 12:42 AM
This is about the 2nd time I've ever posted in this forum, cuz I try to stay as far away from cooking as I can get..... grinnnn

#3672 January 31st, 2007 at 12:47 AM
I make my own as well.

#3673 January 31st, 2007 at 03:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i make my own, too.

when i bake a chicken i plan on eating it for one meal and then making soup.

after it's cooked, i'll remove all the meat from the carcass, crack the leg bones and put the bones in a big stock pot with a carrot, 1/2 an onion, garlic clove, stalk of celery and some salt/pepper and a bay leaf.

i let it simmer ALL day...at least a good 8 hours or so. bring it to a boil and then turn down to Warm and prop the lid up a bit so it doesn't reach a full boil again. i add in more water about 1/2 through - how much depends on how much it's cooked down. i like to have a rich broth (not watered down).

once it's done, i take out the bones, vegy's and bay leaf and i let it cool overnight (ha! never thought to put it outside!!) once it's cooled i skim off the fat and put the broth back into the pot and add in chopped carrots, celery and onion and let them cook until just about done...add in the cooked chicken pieces and continue cooking until the chicken is heated through and the vegy's are done.

i use thin egg noodles...and i cook them seperately and then put in the bowl just before serving...i don't like them to get too overdone.

to make a nice clear broth, use VERY cold water when you fill the pot.

#3674 February 1st, 2007 at 04:09 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Do you make your own veggie, chick or beef broth?
or just buy it?
I buy it....... laugh p laugh

#3675 February 1st, 2007 at 05:00 AM
Ummmm.... I never heard of "veggie broth" in a can. (But then again, I don't pay much attention to groceries!) I don't think you'd get much of a nice thick gel stock from simmering veggies, but I would think that the water they're cooked in would be loaded with good vitamins!

(If I'm sounding like I know something about kitchen stuff, it's only an illusion... probably some sort of reflection off the smoked up mirror finish on my microwave door!) grinnnn

#3676 February 1st, 2007 at 12:48 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all:-) I agree with making your own tatse better and better for you...and veggie broth is made same way as with meats;-)

Thanks for comments..

#3677 February 2nd, 2007 at 02:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
college inn makes chicken, turkey, beef and vegetable broths...both regular versions and low fat/low salt types. they also have a few different added flavorings...chicken w/garlic, chicken w/lemon & herb, chicken w/vegy's & herb and beef french onion style.

no, the vegy broth isn't thick..it IS chockful of nutrients tho!

any kind of broth can be used instead of water when cooking rice...adds a bit of flavor and you can match the broth used to the main dish smile

Link Copied to Clipboard