This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36503 July 10th, 2005 at 09:35 AM
R
RumTum Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have a serious dilemma - I have no idea what I'm doing! I have a totally blank canvas in my front yard (2 flower beds) and I have no idea what to do with them.

I have one flower bed in the full sun and one in the afternoon sun. I would like to have plants/flowers that are low maintenance - I have some time, but not tons of it. Looking forward to learning new things!! Thanks for all your help in advance!

#36504 July 10th, 2005 at 09:55 AM
Okay, you're Green! laugh Sorry, couldn't resist!

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn lots here - it's a great place wink I'm pretty new to gardening, and have learned SO much over the last few months that I've been here!

Right now I'm so tired my head is about to hit the keyboard, but stay tuned - I'm sure someone will be along shortly that will have plenty of great ideas for ya!

#36505 July 10th, 2005 at 05:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
A blank canvas woohoo you luck person you!

My garden plan is already full and I've only been here since march but it changes every time I look at a garden catalog. I am disabled and can only garden for about 15 minutes at a time so I understand limited time in the garden. Once the garden soil is softened its pretty easy to keep it weeded and that where most of the time goes I think.

First things first is probably a good idea. Find out the PH of your soil. There are little kits cost about 10.00 that you can buy to do this. That will tell you if you need to amend the soil.

Second of all is how large are your beds? I have a 20 X 20 space that I am slowly reclaiming from the weeds.

Third what kind of garden would you like. Something like a knot garden very formal or a cottage garden very informal. Or maybe even a zen garden very very low maintenace lol. There are soooooo many choices. There is even a picture of some one who created a Sea Bed Garden in one of the rooms. I can't remember which one now. But that looked really cool.

Once you have an idea about the overall look you want to achieve then we can look at which plants will best fit your needs. Native plants in your area of course would be the lowest maintenance.

#36506 July 10th, 2005 at 08:29 PM
Welcome wavey ,

Every masterpiece started out on a blank canvas thumbup thumbup

#36507 July 10th, 2005 at 11:16 PM
R
RumTum Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into the soil tester that tkhooper mentioned. I have no idea what I'll do if it is not 'right'. I'm telling you guys - this is so new to me. But I'm willing to take my time and get it right. I am in no hurry. I've waited 28 years to get started - what's another month or more... smile

I love Blue Plumbago (sp) - I have those in my back yard and they are very hardy here in Houston. I think I might fill the bed with afternoon sun with those. They are low maintenance enough for me. Plus they fill in and I won't have a lot of weeding to do with them.

Thanks again for all your replys - I appreciate them very much.

#36508 July 10th, 2005 at 11:35 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Rum Tum you have an area with full sun sounds like a perfect spot for roses' and Hibiscus I also have Hydrangea's in full sun laugh . Hibiscus and roses can also grow well in partial sun (ie) only morning sun or afternoon sun. I am a rose and Hibuscus addict so please excuse me I see Texas Star Hibiscus there in Houston your growing season is longer than ours in Dallas area. also for most part you are wetter so can have more water type plants like some canes etc. Just a few ideas I hope they help and I don't sound nutz about the flower choice.
Jimmy

#36509 July 10th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Don't worry about the soil being "right" different plants like different things. I have clay and the snapdragons and portulaca don't mind a bit. The peonies are not exactly thrilled though lol.

Soil can be amended using different things, sand, manure, compost, lime, gypsum just to name a few that I have heard of here on the forum. If you know what you have and what you want to plant there is always someone here who can tell you what you need to add to make it one happy plant. And if you go with native plants it's going to be so easy.

#36510 July 11th, 2005 at 05:25 AM
L
L
I went to the flower nursery and asked the worker there. My husband and I built our home last spring and finally got around to putting in my flower bed. We initially started perinniels from seed and when they got big enough planted them outside. I will never do that again. We ended up going to the nursery. The workers are very knowledgable and will ask you what kind of soil you have and what kind of flowers you would like. I got quite the variety and am enjoying them a great deal. My soil is very sandy.

Lovegreenery

#36511 July 11th, 2005 at 11:20 AM
R
R
If you would like, I will do you a professional design.

I designed & installed & maintained residential landscapes for 8 years. Now, I work for a university. At the present, I am in the midst of redesigning & installing a succulent reading garden (from an overgrown/leggy bunch of beds) at our bookstore courtyard.

PM me if you want (I will give you an email to send photos to). I just need photos, dimensions, light per day, & desires. I do digital designs & plot schematics.

I can let you see some of my work if it will help.

#36512 July 11th, 2005 at 07:16 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh RugbyHukr,

You let the cat out of the bag now. Can I line up for help too?????? Please!!!!!!!!!

#36513 July 11th, 2005 at 11:05 PM
R
R
Sure.

#36514 July 13th, 2005 at 11:24 PM
R
RumTum Offline OP
OP Offline
R
RugdyHukr - I sent you a PM - I look forward to hearing from you!!

Link Copied to Clipboard