This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36454 July 11th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
A very clever woman in a nearby town did something that I just have to share with all of you.

She got an old twin size metal bed with a handsome tall headboard and footboard. She painted it bright red and sat it in the yard. She must have cut the legs down a bit because it is close to the ground...

You guessed it! She then filled all in where the mattress would be with gardening soil and planted it with an abundance of flowers! The blooming flowers make it appear as though the bed is dressed in it's Sunday best spread!

Now there's a flower bed for ya!

#36455 July 11th, 2005 at 07:34 AM
hi merme! yeap that's an excellent idea! I saw a tv show a couple weeks back about gardening and it had this guy on there and he had about 5 flower beds like that! it looked really neat!

#36456 July 11th, 2005 at 07:53 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Now, that's a flower bed! thumbup
That sounds pretty cool.

#36457 July 11th, 2005 at 07:54 PM
HI Merme that sounds like it would be very pretty.its a very diffrent way to make a flower bed. guess it one way to recicle the frames.glad you shared the idea with us.your friend in gardening.mike57

#36458 July 12th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
G
G
I think I saw the same show. This guy now has people dropping bed frames in his driveway from time to time to add to his collection of flower beds. He even had a crib!

Very cute idea.

#36459 July 15th, 2005 at 07:20 PM
There's an old lady who did the same down by the grocery store, I thought CUTE, then the next time I passed she had a blue toilet with it on the front lawn with a basket of petunias in the flush. I have to go again this week, maybe I'll see the kitchen sink. laugh

#36460 July 15th, 2005 at 08:41 PM
Great ideas for unique gardens. I love it when people use old wheel barrels and bury the front and once the plants bloom it is like the wheel barrel fell over and the flowers fell everywhere.

#36461 July 15th, 2005 at 09:12 PM
I think I want a real flower "bed" now! laugh That sounds gorgeous.

Dianna

#36462 July 16th, 2005 at 01:46 AM
W
W
When we finish remodeling the interior of our house I was going to take the old toilet and plant roses in it. I like the bed idea much better. Very cute. I even have an old bed frame.

#36463 July 16th, 2005 at 12:26 PM
giraffe that was the exact show that I watched lol it was very interesting all right!

#36464 July 16th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tamara,
then the next time I passed she had a blue toilet with it on the front lawn with a basket of petunias in the flush. I have to go again this week, maybe I'll see the kitchen sink.
I have one of those...I keep saying I"m going to do that to that..

but right now, I do have an old pedistal sink outside, a bathtub.......

If I didn't have a husband that was sooooo cranky
with my gardening style..
I SWEAR I'd have a "HOUSE OF GARDEN" out in my garden..
I'd do all the different types of rooms there were inside..
I've had ideas' on stuff for years...

When he gets over his crankiness, I AM GOING TO DO IT..I have some reaaaaaallllllllllllllly neat ideas... idea

#36465 July 19th, 2005 at 11:52 AM
A guy here and Toronto did that a few years back. I sent the photo to one of the papers but nobody printed it.

He did tomatoes in it - he didn't paint it - just sat it in the yard and planted his taters in it - it worked out well.

He also had a plant growing in an old sneaker.

#36466 July 19th, 2005 at 06:46 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I still think the most fascinating garden structure I ever saw was of a woman fashioned out of chicken wire. Someone made her up to be nice and rounded all over, like a cozy woman in a long dress then planted flowering vines all around her. Once the vines bloomed, she was spectacular standing in the garden, a straw bonnet on her head. I would love to see that along with some of these other ideas using beds and bathroom fixtures. Just so homey and female, if you know what I mean?

Merme

#36467 July 27th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Ok I have the headboard in the yard with moon vines and morning glories on it. Hubby flipped his lid over it. I adore it and have gotten alot of compliments on it. We did the shoe thing with grandpas old boots when he passed away cut holes in the toe and put in hens n chickens they are still on the front poorch at grandmas where he always left them. Its kinda a tribute to him. I saw a toilet the other day and just had to laugh. THis one here though I thought so cute. Someone had taken an old pair of bibs and put probably 2x4 or something similar down the legs to hold them up and the soem wire on those to hold he shoulder straps up and then had put a pot inside the chest area and had flowers popping out of the top and arms. It was odd at first but somewhat cute and so creative. Probably wouldnt go well with papaw's boots though.

#36468 August 15th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
W
W
Just had to share this...
Someone had a cast iron bath tub in their yard with a person taking a bath. They planted some white flowers to look like soap bubbles and than stuck in the head (chest up) in one end and then stuck feet in the other end. Looked like a cowboy sitting out in the yard having himself a nice soak. I thought it was so cute. The cowboy seemed to be made of metal.
Nancy

Link Copied to Clipboard