This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36199 June 27th, 2005 at 12:26 AM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
my daughter brought home a plotted plant and i had no idea what it was. i just kept watering it and it loked great and one day it bloomed - finaly i knew that it was a petunia. when the flower wilted i took it off and since then t eh leaves have all started to dry up and die . now it looks like a stick it a pot. i keep watering it but i am not sure that i should be. is the flower finished blooming for the season or did i somehow unwillingly kill it. what should i be doing?

#36200 June 27th, 2005 at 12:34 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Petunias are annual >.o So ya, if the flower finishes, it drops seeds and the plant itself dies... >.< so ya, i think that's what happened.

~Phoebe

#36201 June 27th, 2005 at 07:41 AM
I've never seen a petunia with just 1 stem and one bloom though unless it's just starting out. Did you have it in the sun. Petunias like lots of sun. If you did, I wonder if something was going on with it to start with.

#36202 June 30th, 2005 at 04:07 PM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
the petunia was very small when we got it . we got it at a fair so it would make sense that it would only be one. should i still be watering it now - we are in the hot season and i want it o survive til next year

#36203 June 30th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
An annual is a plant with a lifecycle of one year or less. So if it has flowered once it is probably dead. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that subject but it's better to know and have the water going to something that can use it. If you pm me with your address I can send you some marigold seed. they can take a fair amount of sun and heat and if you mulch them good over the winter. Cover them right up they can sometimes overwinter. I even have some in the house because the planter got over full.

#36204 June 30th, 2005 at 11:46 PM
I have overwintered petunias here in sunny SoCal for a couple of years now. They get pretty leggy but they manage to bloom again. Once a plant goes brown though its pretty much done and a goner. How cold does it get where you live?

#36205 July 1st, 2005 at 12:38 AM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
it rarely goes below freezing and so we never get any frost - it gets to be about 5 Celsius (sorry i'm not familiar with farenheit)at eh coldest. but the plant loks pretty brown.....this gardening thing is so much frun but it seems that almmost everything thati have tried has died. eek eek Duh

#36206 July 1st, 2005 at 08:51 AM
petunias can be pruned and will bloom again the same season. But if it looks brown it's probably gone.

#36207 July 1st, 2005 at 08:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Did you ever have a picture of it Sheri????

#36208 July 5th, 2005 at 06:01 AM
Hello, I'd try a hardy desert loving plant- like geraniums and mums. They say butterfly weed loves sun, but I'm having trouble with mine, so I don't know if you should try that. One thing you should do- before you plant the flower, make sure you break up that bulgy root system on the bottom. That gives the roots room and stimulates new growth. If the roots have no room, the plant will have trouble.

Good Luck! wavey kit

#36209 July 9th, 2005 at 07:51 PM
I'm a petunia freak!
They love water and sun. Yes, they are annuals, but I have an old wash tub filled with petunias they have reseeded themselves for the past 5 years. (And I'm in zone 5)

No, they aren't supposed to die after one flower. Something is either wrong with the plant, or it needs water and fertilizer.

#36210 July 10th, 2005 at 02:59 AM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
i've neglected it long enought hat evenif it wasn't dead befoer it is definiftely gone by now. it gets pretty hot here and i haven't watered it in a while ters

#36211 July 11th, 2005 at 12:36 AM
S
S
I love Purple Wave Pentunias. I have planted them every hear but I need at least 7 to 9 flats; it gets expensive.
Is there any way I can collect the seeds and start them in the house before spring? (I'm in zone 5)
Some of the petunias I had on a terrace wall flower box hung over my daisy garden below. I was amazed to see a few purple wave petunias in the daisy garden...I was delighted! grinnnn
do you know what the seeds look like? Are they in a little pod?
Thank you
susan

#36212 July 11th, 2005 at 01:40 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
To be honest, I personally have never grown
the WAVE PETUNIA, but have just regular petunia's
When mine go to seed, it's where the flower was,
after the flower part dries up, it should fall
off or very easily pulled off, and under it,
should be a, oh gee, how to discribe it..
a shape that looks like a small, green, Hersey's Kiss chocolate...wait until that turns brown,
and dry and pick it...
Save in a cool, dry place over winter...
Preferrably in a paper type enclosure, like a homemade seed packet, or envelope, or folded piece of paper....

Buttttttttttttttt, with out growing them,
I am not 100% sure, they may not even produce a seed...but hey, it's worth a check to see...

#36213 July 12th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
V
V
If you pick off the flower after it wilts it should bloom again, untill it is done. They will not bloom as pretty and big if you let them "go to seed". I just throw the picked blooms in the bottom of the pot. Mine do great every year. This year I killed them off because I used some of the shake and feed stuff and used too much and then realized that I had bought miracle grow that had fertilzer in the soil. I miss my petunias but I am not buying again this year. Will wait untill next spring to worry with them. I have way too much for a pregnant mommy of 3 to take care of as it is.

#36214 July 21st, 2005 at 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Susan Slupski:
I love Purple Wave Pentunias. I have planted them every hear but I need at least 7 to 9 flats; it gets expensive.
Is there any way I can collect the seeds and start them in the house before spring? (I'm in zone 5)
Some of the petunias I had on a terrace wall flower box hung over my daisy garden below. I was amazed to see a few purple wave petunias in the daisy garden...I was delighted! grinnnn
do you know what the seeds look like? Are they in a little pod?
Thank you
susan
My mother-in-law has some purple wave petunias that have reseeded for many years. She thought they were perenials smile I took some of the seeds last year (a lot of seeds!) I planted most of them this spring, in hanging baskets, in direct sun & I only got one plant. That one plant hasn't gotten over 2 inches tall eek I thought that since my mother-in-laws had reseeded so readily, that I would have good luck...but, of course not!

Vada...I used the Miracle Grow soil for flowers...is that not good for petunias?

#36215 August 7th, 2005 at 08:55 AM
Hi Hinda,

here a quick trick to convert celcius into f...

you said 5 celcius,that means:

multiply by 2

add 30

and you ve got it,of corse some will be really precise and add 32 instead of 30 but you get the idea;so your coldest would be 40 to 42 f.

and if i were you i d accept the marigold,if you pm me your address i ll send you some also,so you ll have more.

good luck.

#36216 August 9th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/daisey_diesel/detail?.dir=35fc&.dnm=7c29.jpg&.src=ph
That is a picture of my wave petunias they each spread over 2 feet in with. They are beautiful I have some in containers http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/daisey_diesel/detail?.dir=35fc&.dnm=b1f9.jpg&.src=ph picture
The look good but that is not the best pic of them. They are starting to get real leggy. At one point this summer you couldnt even see any green just beautiful blooms they even crawled up inside my shutters, I had to pull them out. I have a little train made outta whiskey barrels full of purple ones and it is just as the name says a "wave" of petunias I dont have a picture of it at its best wish I did. The seed pods are just as weezie described small hershey kiss looking things. I love petunias but unfortunatly they dont do well in Indiana in containers come late July and August. The petunias in the ground are beautiful still even in the heat. I just adore them even my husband does. He wants to plant more next year I just cant justify a garden full as he wants due to the cost and the fact that they arent a prennial. THis picture I took in June http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/daisey_diesel/detail?.dir=2700&.dnm=bb79.jpg&.src=ph well now you cant even see the bucket. It was gerogeous till the neighbors great dane sat on them the look now but she had a habit of it. and they dare to complain about my cat in their yard...hump!

#36217 August 9th, 2005 at 10:01 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Just so you know,
I put a space between the word JUNE and your
photo...

And what BEAUTIFUL flowers AND COLOR...
WHAT A WOW FACTOR!!!

#36218 August 9th, 2005 at 10:29 PM
Thanks Weezie. I just love petunias they can be high maintence but with those wave petunias the color is just so vivid I cant resist them. I harvested seeds from them this year so if I get the greenhouse I am hinting at for our anniversary maybe I can have the garden of them that the hubby wants. Oh and boy if I do get that greenhouse watch out the questions are gonna fly from me!

#36219 August 9th, 2005 at 11:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's the little greenhouse I got
for Mother's Day, Christmas, Birthday, etc. present...
Harbor Freights greenhouse w/Free Shipping after $50.00 purchase.

I had posted something here called the
Here\'s the original place to go see the Patunia Wave Tree

and here's where I posted it here..
Weezie\'s Original post here at the GHF....

Can't remember if you peaked at it before or not???

#36220 August 9th, 2005 at 11:55 PM
Weezie - Oh my beautiful you realy do not know how much I love petunias! I believe I know where my petunias will be next year without a doubt. See now you did it to me - I was determined to not put them in containers next year - I have got to have that!

#36221 August 10th, 2005 at 12:19 AM
Have you ever tried the portable type greenhouse? With the area we live in we cannot put in one like that it is considered an out building like a mini barn and such they are no nos in our association. POA I hate em! Seems like it would be nicer then the portable ones, but they dont allow em. If you have tried or anyone else has tried the portable ones please share your experience with me. I am going to guess this should be moved to a more appropriate place but where I do not know.

#36222 August 13th, 2005 at 11:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karrie,
If you have tried or anyone else has tried the portable ones please share your experience with me. I am going to guess this should be moved to a more appropriate place but where I do not know.
Here's a picture of the portable ones' I have...
[Linked Image]

I have 5 total now...1~2 shelf, and 4~3 shelf one's............with zipper fronts..
I put them inside my greenhouse for shelving and extra warmth for the spring time seed planting...

I am eyeballing some type of heating unit
to put inside, to be able to do my flower seeds
first and then my veggies..
*I've been doing the veggies first, cause I really like my veggie garden, but love flowers too, and by the time I am done doing the veggies,
and doing the flower seeds, it's almost August before some start really into blooming..
And that's too late, I am just now planting a bunch of annuals I planted..I am sooooooooo slow.

#36223 August 13th, 2005 at 11:28 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If you want to start a new thread about
greenhouse's go right ahead..
I'll post the info I have on them..

(**I had promised Phoenix some info on
them too, so that would help me in the info
department..**)

Link Copied to Clipboard