This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36071 May 11th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
OP Offline
I hope someone can help me. This winter I moved into an apartment with an outside deck. I'm on the second floor and couldn't wait to start a container garden since my last place was basement level and in a bad part of town I couldn't have one. I recently planted (in one pot) a single tulip, two mini-roses white and pink, and some catnip. I know I will eventually need separate pots or one long pot but while checking the plants today and watering them I found black ants absolutely everywhere even on my geraniums in another pot. My husband helped me check and we didn't find any aphids. I'm worried the ants will come in through my patio door. Are the ants beneficial, harmful, neutral or what? I've never had this problem gardening in the past. I am unsure of what to do, if the ants won't come inside I'd like to just leave them be. If I should use something to deter them I need something that is not harmful to animals since I have a cat that enjoys the deck and the catnip as well. Please help! Duh

#36072 May 11th, 2005 at 04:12 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ants don't like nicotine tea from what I've read. Although the fire ants in my garden don't mind it at all.

#36073 May 11th, 2005 at 04:37 AM
OP Offline
TK, Thanks I'll see if I can find any around here, though I've never seen it before (likely because I wasn't looking) I am wondering if that's going to be cat-compatable... because I have to put whatever on the catnip too because the ants were on it. Also after my post (and strangely after the sun set) there are HUGE black beetles around my roses. Any suggestions on that?

#36074 May 11th, 2005 at 12:51 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Um, you don't buy nicotine tea you make it. Cigarette butts put in water and allowed to steep for a few days. The tea is then poured around the planting area so unless the kitties are eating the dirt I don't see a problem.

I know absolutely nothing about roses or their little bug a boos.

But there is a buglady that posts here from time to time and she knows everything.

#36075 May 13th, 2005 at 04:08 PM
R
R
Sounds like when you planted your little garden you put out an invitation to lots of critters.

Don't know much about ants, or beetles for that matter, only that one type of large black beetle we have here on the West coast of Canada is called a "Ground" beetle and they are beneficial.

#36076 May 14th, 2005 at 05:11 PM
OP Offline
Just a mini-update, the ants are still out there though not as...hhmmm in-force I guess the word would be and I've not seen any beetles since that night. Fortunately the ants haven't tried to get inside yet and if they stay that way I'm more than happy to leave them alone smile

#36077 May 14th, 2005 at 06:05 PM
Interesting PF. The ants turned upstairs just before the storms started. They were yellin at ya: "It's gonna rain lady, get your stuff under cover..." Ants moving up are a good indication of rain coming.

#36078 May 15th, 2005 at 12:14 AM
OP Offline
Longy,
REally? Ants moving up is a sign of rain?? Boy you can bet I'll be watching my balcony like a hawk from now on and rigging some tarps or something! Thanks a bunch!

#36079 May 15th, 2005 at 06:28 AM
Ants moving up is a sign of rain??
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yep. And if they persist for weeks and move the eggs etc you're gonna get seriously wet. Wish i knew how they know...

Link Copied to Clipboard