This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35762 May 15th, 2005 at 03:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I just had to share. There is a clump of honey suckle coming up in the weed patch. Isn't that great? I don't know what kind just that the flowers are white. But it's always nice when Mother Nature presents me with a gift plant.

Anyone know what It would do if I wanted to move some of it to a shaded slope? Would it support itself or would it grow up the slope?

And how would I go about moving it? And when? lol so many questions. I love suprise plants.

#35763 May 15th, 2005 at 04:56 PM
TK,
Honey suckle grows in quite an abundance here. I have to cut it away like weeds or it will choke out everything it grows on. I have seen it with a trunk like a shrub but that particular plant was probably 20 yrs old or so. It grows fairly well in shady areas. But, it grows like a vine,so it will most likely grow along the ground in any direction or whichever way you train it to go. A lot of what I have is growing in privet hedges and up into oak trees. I've never had to move any but I think you could probably just dig it up at the root and then re-set it. Keep it watered well till it takes hold then you may be sorry you moved it!! grinnnn Anyways-- let me know... pc

#35764 May 15th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It's not really small about 4 feet high. I hadn't been looking over on that side and didn't see it until it bloomed. It's over where I had the compost pile before someone knocked it over. I can easily leave it there and let the sun prune it I guess lol. Thanks for the information. I wouldn't want to have to fight with something that gets that big that fast so I'll just watch for runners and snip them fast.

If you don't mind I'd like to ask another question. After it blooms can I prune it? Right now it is kind of boxed shaped and I like that idea. It looks almost like a hedge.

#35765 May 15th, 2005 at 07:12 PM
Its pretty and smells fabulous the whole time its in bloom but it will take over-- at least around hear it will. I'll try to go get a picture of what I have and post it to see if we have the same stuff. Like I said what I have grows like a thin vine ALL OVER EVERYTHING!! I'll try to get thos pics sometime today...

#35766 May 16th, 2005 at 02:40 AM
I'm sorry I missed your other question at the bottom of your post-- if your plant is the same as what is in the pictures I'm including in this post then the answer is yes, you can prune it as soon as the blooms die out. I cut it down and it comes back before the summer is over.

this is a closeup of the flower
[Linked Image]
this is it growing in a privet hedge
[Linked Image]
This is a pictures of a vine that was left on a tree trunk after it(the vine) was cut at the ground to clear out the overgrowth
[Linked Image]
this is the same tree trunk 2 or 3 months after the first vine was cut(02/2005)... see how fast it will grow back???
[Linked Image]
the green leaves are honeysuckle vine.

Is this anything like what you have??

#35767 May 16th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
Here's a better picture of the honeysuckle & privet-- sorry the 1st one was so small
[Linked Image]

#35768 May 16th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That is the flower and the leaf but they sure grow different. Mine is free standing possible because it doesn't have anything to lean on? And the bottom is like a knot with many vines growing out of it.

#35769 May 16th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
sounds like yours has been there for a while and just hasn't been allowed to grow for very long before being cut down. Its like the one I told you had a trunk like a shrub. If you cut it back regularly after it blooms it won't get out of hand but only do this up until next spring. Once it starts to put out new growth next spring be careful not to cut it back too much or it won't bloom. It should be really fragrant late in the evening and right after a light shower smile They are really nice but can be very invasive. In our area most people admire them in the wild and cut them down around their homes. The fact that it is growing in post-compost pile ground only serves to make it grow better. It is usually pretty heat tolerant. And doesn't require a lot of water either... Hope this helps... Tricia

#35770 May 16th, 2005 at 01:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks Trica it helps alot. That edge of the weed patch I leave alone because my neighbor has his blue berry bush over there. And from what I understand, there is also poison ivy. The honey suckle is right next to the retaining wall. It is easy to get at without disturbing his stuff. So I'll trim after it blooms and enjoy it but not move it. lol

Thank you so much for the advise and information.

#35771 May 16th, 2005 at 04:30 PM
You're very welcome!!
BTW-- a little while ago when I couldn't get the forum to come up I was looking in the encyclopedia area and found some interesting info on honey suckle. Seems as though there is the kind that grows like a shrub and then the kind that grows like I was speaking of -- you might want to check it out if you are so inclined... Tricia

#35772 May 16th, 2005 at 04:56 PM
wavey good mernin all grinnnn
does anybody know if honeysuckle can be rooted if i were to "snip" a branch from a bush? would i need to root it? or could i just stick it in the dirt?
hope everyone had a nice weekend

#35773 May 16th, 2005 at 05:01 PM
check out the info here:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/honeysucklecare.html

TK-- this is where I was talking about-- not the encyclopedia-- I'm sorry...

#35774 May 16th, 2005 at 05:10 PM
thumbup thanx pc

#35775 May 16th, 2005 at 11:19 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thank you Tricia,

Someone got to it with the weed killer.

"Life is what happens while I'm busy making other plans."

#35776 May 17th, 2005 at 02:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ha!

Hey Phoenix you could try what I did. I looked on the ground around the big honey suckle looking for a red colored vine laying along the ground and then followed it to the little plant.

I found a baby honeysuckle that the weed killer hadn't gotten too. It is now safely transplanted to the "garden area" Hopefully that means no one will pour weed killer on it or mow it down or do anything else to it that would be bad. I hope it grows that embankment is mostly solid clay. Well I can cross my fingers and send up a prayer.

#35777 May 17th, 2005 at 03:12 PM
thumbup muggs
Way To Go,TK!!! and don't worry that stuff will grow pretty much anywhere... I read its good for helping prevent soil erosion(sp) too...

#35778 May 17th, 2005 at 04:50 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Tricia,

I can't spell that silly "e" word either. I was hoping that since it propogates from the root spreading out that it would help with that.

There are already roots all through that area which is why I feel relatively safe taking out a lot of the grass and giving the drawf everygreen a better chance to get a good hold there.

With the honey suckle on top then the dwarf evergreen The flat space below should be safe for the peonies and hosta. Or at least that's the current plan.

That garden plan of mine is really shaping up although I am trying to keep it simple and let what I have multiply over the next few years rather than filling it up now and not having room for anything later that I want to add.

Some day I hope that I will know enough that I will plant the flowers in such a way that the entire garden will be a blooming field from the first day of spring right through the first frost but that's quite a ways off.

Link Copied to Clipboard