This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35650 June 6th, 2005 at 06:39 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Ok, so I started out with a tiny aloe plant, and a few years later I have this monster.

[Linked Image]

On the one hand, I'm pleased that the plant is thriving. On the other hand, it has out grown the present pot, and I know that I should divide and repot this plant, but I don't have a clue how to do it without killing the plant in the process. Aloe is just so tender.

Do I leave it, or does anyone have some suggestions?

#35651 June 6th, 2005 at 06:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't help you with repotting but wanted to stop in and say: Wow! That is an awesome Aloe! thumbup

#35652 June 6th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Aloe tender? I wouldn't have said so. That's because mine hasn't died on me yet lol.

Get a very wide pot. They are suppose to like to send their roots out rather than down. Then get two strong men to help you turn that sucker upside down while you hold on to the plant so it doesn't hit the ground. After that it's just a matter of adding the cactus potting soil around the roots when you get it in its new home. If I could get the babies out of the pot first I would but I'm not sure your going to be able to do that. Give it a moderate watering not a thirsty plant watering after you transplant it. I overwatered and ended up with some brown tips after I transplanted mine.

Of course if mine gets that big I'm going to have to send it to my cyber fellow JV. I wouldn't have anywhere in the apartment where I could put it.

I am tempted to say you may have to break the pot. I know when I planted my little one in a narrow pot I had a heck of a time getting it out.

#35653 June 6th, 2005 at 11:33 AM
HI PAR thats a very nice looking plant you have there.heres what you need to know on how to repot it.
repotting aloe vera plants.
repotting of aloe vera plants can stand to be root bound so repotting is not necessary until the mother plant gets real top heavy. when the plant gets root bound it will send out more new shoots of baby plants. If these are not taken out for replanting when they are 4 to 5 inches high they will suck the life from the mother plant which will become a bright light green in color and spread its leaves horizontally rather than
vertically. The plants will grow in any kind of soil but a well drained type soil is recomended. The baby plants should be repotted when large enough and watered well and not watered again for about 3 or 4 weeks.
makeing the new roots from the new plants search for water. The transplanted babys might turn
brown or a gray color for a while which is normal.hope this helps.your friend in gardeing mike57.

#35654 June 6th, 2005 at 03:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
TK & Mike57,

Thanks for the suggestions. thumbup I'll let you know how it turns out.

#35655 June 7th, 2005 at 03:57 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
oooooooooooh thanks mike! I was wondering why mine was making babies all the time, and my mom's aloe isn't ^.^ Mine's in a 4.5" pot, and my mom's is about the size of the mother plant in the picture in this thread, in a 10" pot. It doesn't have any babies though, and i've been trying to figure out why lol. But ya, the thing to remember when pulling out the babies is that the roots on those are probably gonna be intertwined with the mother's. I let mine get pretty tangled before i took it apart >.<

After i took it apart, i lost a few bottom leaves, and the ends of some leaves turned brown, but then it started shooting up new leaves again ^.^ then it started making babies again lol. So ya ^.^ good luck!!!

~Phoebe

Link Copied to Clipboard