This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35484 June 26th, 2005 at 09:16 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I couldn't quite decide where to post this.

My Zinnia is blooming which is great. Now of course I want to harvest the seeds. G-mom told me to pick them at the end of their bloom time. {I forgot what that was called}. Anyway I went out and picked two of them and have been drying them but I think I picked them way to early. How long does a typical bloom last on the plant?

#35485 June 26th, 2005 at 11:07 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Zinnia blooms last for quite a while. Wait until they die and turn brown, then cut them. You only have to keep a few of them, as they have LOTS of seeds. I try to save one of each color.
Also, did you know that when they start to look raggedy, you can cut off the flower. There are many side shoots that will bloom and you'll have flowers for a long time.

#35486 June 27th, 2005 at 04:14 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks for the information mom that helps a lot. Glad to hear they will get side flowers if the tops are cut off otherwise they weren't going to be very useful plants in my little garden lol. I noticed there were bunches of seeds in the commercial package I bought so that makes sense now. Very prolific are they. that's good I need a trade stock lol. Do they maintain their color? I thought they would probably mutate. I have them all jam packed together so I'm not at all sure about the color remaining the same as on the parent flower.

#35487 June 27th, 2005 at 07:24 AM
Afgreyparrot is an expert on zinnias. You might want to IM her.

Link Copied to Clipboard