This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35448 August 13th, 2005 at 09:03 AM
A
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Does anyone have THE solution to Japanese beetles without harsh chemicals? I have the bag traps everywhere but still have 6-10 all over every ear of corn's silk that I have. They are back after hand picking before I finish a row. I don't want to use Sevin unless there's no other way.
Also, my tomato sets I planted grew terrifically the first month or so, and now, just as the fruit is starting to ripen, the plants are yellowing from the bottom up, and some leaves are curled, brown, and dead. The plants are not growing anymore. My sandy loam soil is normal for NPK and a ph of 6.5. Hope someone can help me, I need it!

Thanks, Arthur

Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Okay 1st thing 1st:

Take all those bag traps and either throw em out or put them a couple of hundred yards away from your garden.
Those bags ATTRACT the beetles with a pheromone (sexual scent). This works very well, but does little to stop the critters from having a snack on their way to what they think is the "Love Shack"
If that does not work:
The use of cheesecloth draped over the plants will keep some of them away, but if you are in a location that is very windy, this will not really work.

Sevin is labeled for use on veggies and so is Malithion, and chances are if you have ever bought any veggies in the store, including those canned or frozen you have been exposed to either one since they are the 2 most popular insecticides on the market for use on crops.

Personally I prefer using the Sevin dust as it does not have a icky odor, but the Malithion does do a bit better of a job.
As long as either are used correctly according to the labels instructions they are safe. Just be sure to read the "day to harvest" statement on the label, which differs from crop to crop.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Whoops you had two parts to that.

As far as the yellowing of the leaves and the plants dying:

1.It could be lack of water for a period of time.
2. Wind damage
3. Too much water resulting in the roots rooting.
4. Over fertilization, burning out the roots.
5. Possibly cut or army worms attacking the bottom of the plant. This is usually pretty noticeable though.
6. The wrong type of fertilizer. 20-20-20 is about the best all around veggie fert there is.

My guess that something happened to the roots, and if that is the case try adding a bit of bone meal or potash or fertilizer with lower 1st and 2nd number and high 3rd like 5-5-20 around the base of each plant and watering it in. This will help the plants roots recover.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
For the Japanese Beatles..
I plant *or let mother natures' wildflowers stay
in the yard.*

Common Evening Primrose
and
Borage...
They ravage them and leave alot of my "pretties" alone.

Link Copied to Clipboard