This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35291 May 15th, 2005 at 05:45 PM
L
lynne22 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have a problem with some type of a black fungus. It is spreading across all of my landscaping rocks around my pool, and of course, has spread to my ornamental grasses, as well as flowers. What product can I use? Since this is probably over 200 square feet of landscaping, what application should I be using? Any home-remedies work? Don't really want to use toxic type of chemicals - UNLESS necessary. nutz
Thanks for any help!

#35292 May 16th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
Lynne, try bordeaux spray. AKA bluestone. Available from nurseries etc. Spray 3 times 7 days apart at the mix rate of a level tablespoon to a gallon of water. This will not harm your plants or animals but you should avoid breathing the powder when mixing it. Also, strain it thru an old pantyhose or similar after mixing as it doesn't dissolve too well and will clog up your sprayer.. Also milk is supposed to be a fungicide though i've never tried it. Consider too that fungus grow where there is too much moisture and not enough light. Can you change either or both of these factors? Perhaps by watering by flooding the ground so the rocks don't get wet. Otherwise water in the morning so the area is dry overnight. That's possibly when the fungus will spread.

#35293 May 16th, 2005 at 12:10 PM
L
lynne22 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi Longy - Thanks I will try the Bordeaux! Unfortunately, it is in total sun all day! So I don't understand how a fungus can even survive. It is only 2" of rock, covering over landscaping fabric. Not even many plants (as it seems to keep killing them off!) I do only water with a sprinkling can to avoid getting the rocks all wet. It is so imbedded in the rocks it would take a scrub brush to get it off! Never seen anything like it. Do you think this could possibly any other type of disease - live in Upstate New York.

#35294 May 19th, 2005 at 09:03 PM
Do you think this could possibly any other type of disease
+++++++++++++
maybe it is Lynne. Can you take a bit of it to a horticulturist or a qualified nursery person and get them to check it out? It may be a fungus or a moss. Fungi are part of natures way of breaking down dead orgnic matter. Which begs the question 'what are they living on to start with".
Try the bordeaux on a patch but definitely get someone to look at a sample i reckon.

Link Copied to Clipboard