This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35285 December 21st, 2005 at 03:15 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi,
Please help me save myy 15 year old aloe. I recently transplanted it because it was getting top heavy with an extended looking stem area coming out of the ground. I think I overwatered it and the pot I put it in didn't breathe enough to let the moisture escape. On top of that I've had my thermostat quite low (62) to help with the energy bills. Right now, all 5 leaves that are left have all gone soft and dark at the center of the plant and I don't know what to do. Can the plant survive somehow without these leaves???? What can I do?? I used cactus soil but still the water was the problem I think.
Thanks,
Ken

#35286 December 21st, 2005 at 10:19 AM
My best guess is getting it out of the wet soil take off all darken wet leaves I don't know about totally repotting again maybe just get some of the wet out and add more dry soil hopefully the roots haven't gotten so soaked that they can't dry out I know there are others here with better advice but that's my best guess for what it's worth Duh

#35287 December 22nd, 2005 at 10:18 AM
M
M
Yup. And so it goes sometimes. I've recently rotted 3 titanopsis that I really wanted. Light a candle for it, get another, and don't water it so much, especially in winter. I find my compost pile a great emotional aid - it(whatever it was) will live again in the next generation of plants. NEVER condemn yourself - we've all lost plants.

#35288 December 29th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
D
D
Aloe is a succulent. It retains water in it's leaves, and it grows in the desert area. I would suggest to pull it out of the pot @ lay it on some newspaper to let it try to revive itself. It sounds like it was pretty stressed and may not recover, but it's worth a try. I have some aloe that I pulled from it's pot during the summer and still haven't got around to re potting it. They like bright light and warmth, so if you can get it into an area that gets light and not drafty, she will be thankful. I hope that this helps you save it. Let me know.
Debbie

#35289 December 29th, 2005 at 03:06 AM
R
R
I think aloe does much better in a clay pot than other pots. The clay seems to help the soil to dry. I have had aloe die if I put them in a plastic pot. I don't think the cold should be a big problem, they seem to do okay as long as it is not freezing. Really it sounds like you just need to get the roots dry and then put it back in a pot that drains better. I would say after repottting do not water for at least 2 weeks. Good luck!

#35290 December 30th, 2005 at 05:48 AM
M
M
So, How's the aloe?

Link Copied to Clipboard