This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35175 June 17th, 2005 at 06:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Now all I can do is hope I am more successful with drying than I have been in the past. Crossing my fingers lol. I must say it has a very citrus type smell that I never noticed from the spice I bought from the store. I'm going to have to think how I might be able to use that. It may be very good with pork. Ah well I'll think on it right after I take my nap. I just fixed myself a cup of black coffee (yuck). I drink it with cream and sugar. So I know I'm getting alittle tired.

#35176 June 18th, 2005 at 05:36 AM
Hi Tk! wavey
Cilantro is a great garnish for mexican food. I use it for fresh salsa and canning salsa. I've never dried it. I eat it fresh with salads, fish...chicken....etc. It's best matched with a little lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. It makes a great dressing for salads or marinades for any meat really but I prefer it with chicken. You can rough chop it and freeze it in a good air tight ziplock or container. This holds the flavor better than drying it would. Take care!! muggs
Christina

#35177 June 18th, 2005 at 06:44 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks Crhistina. I usually just have the seeds for corned beef. So this will be new for me.

#35178 June 18th, 2005 at 07:07 AM
Congrats, T! Isn't it a liberating feeling, growing your own edibles? I was psyched when our raspberries came up!

#35179 June 27th, 2005 at 09:00 PM
M
M
For you folks that want a "cilantro" that does not bolt like the regular, try Culantro or long leaf cilantro also known as Mexican cilantro or Reaco. It has spiney leaves and a more intense flavor than the common cilantro. Reseeds readily - I've had mine come back for four years now. Doesn't like wet feet. I plant in a wide clay pot. Enjoy!

#35180 July 1st, 2005 at 11:06 PM
P
P
Fresh cilantro is also used a lot in asian cooking. You can use it as a garnish for soups. Put some cilantro, sliced ginger, garlic and green onions, some olive and sesame oil, soy sauce, and salt , pepper and sugar on fish. Steam the fish in the marinade until done. It is very nice. I've also seen it used in spring rolls (not fried egg rolls). Just some ideas.

#35181 July 1st, 2005 at 11:49 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh that sounds like a delicious way to do white fish. I left some on the vine to re-seed and I hope it does. I would definitely like to try that. Believe it or not I didn't even harvest the cilantro this year because I was all about the coriander for my corned beef. Well I'll know better next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard