This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35150 July 11th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
D
Dino Offline OP
OP Offline
D
How do I propagate Grape vine and Blue berry plants? :

#35151 July 11th, 2005 at 07:31 PM
HI wavey Dino there are two ways to propagate Grape vine and Blue berry plants.
1.you can take cuttings from the plants about 8 inches long remove all the leafes but the top leafs dip or rub where you cut them with rooting hormone and make a hole in the soil in a nice big flower pot then place the cutting in the hole or holes then pack the dirt around the cutting do quite a few in the same pot as some may die.keep the soil moist not soked.and place them in the shade.in abought 6 to 8 weeks you should have some starting to root.then you cant plant them where you intend for them to grow.

2.the second methed is to take a branch still atached to the mother plant and skin off the bottom of the branch just the outer skin about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch then rub on rooting hormone where you skined it back get a flower pot full of soil and place the skined portion on the soil then place more soil on top of the branch place a brick or rock over that to hold it in place water it real well then just keep the soil moist after that again in about 6 to 8 weeks it should have roots growing where you skined it back.if so you then cut the branch between the mother plant and the flower pot where you skined it then you now have a new plant ready to be placed where you would like it to grow.
hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#35152 July 14th, 2005 at 12:09 AM
N
N
I have a pear tree in my garden. Can any one tell me how to propagate it.

#35153 July 16th, 2005 at 11:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey, that's really useful. I am going to try out the blueberry propagation. I haven't had much success with taking cuttings in the past. But, i'll try out the second method

#35154 July 17th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
ana, I've heard that cutting do better when started in the fall.

#35155 July 17th, 2005 at 10:51 PM
HI ny1gardener wavey METHED # 1 WOULD BE BEST FOR YOU. these metheds will work on any bush shrub or tree. wavey TK I start my cuttings in the spring that way the plants have more time to establish its root system wavey flw

#35156 July 18th, 2005 at 07:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's a great little method...
From Lee Valley Tools / Probagation Pots

Does it right on the tree *not sure about
vine but I would think it would*
Most of the time you do your probagating like
this in the spring, when growth is the best..
but I would imagine it would work anytime..
**I'd say, keep the pot shaded though~out of the
sunshine, it may heat the pot up too much...**

#35157 July 18th, 2005 at 11:25 PM
HI Weezie thanks for posting that it looks like a very cool product.i might have to buy a few and give them a try.your friend in gardening.mike57

#35158 July 18th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mike,
I originally found out, how to do that with duct tape
*(I put the tape on backwards, so it wasn't stuck to the stem but on to it's self, giving it like support or like a brace, cause the tape was so wide)
..and an Angel Winged Begonia...
One of several reason's or how I truely grew the
amazement of gardening...

*the tip had broken when I was moving it,
it was still on the plant, partially, and I had
hoped to do that duct tape to have it re~grow together...

But what happened was, because the tip was still
attached to it's mother, it still got nurishment
and with the duct tape, being so dark, it gave the plant an area to grow new roots in...

And when I thought the plant had healed it's self..after I tugged it a few times and it was what seemed like regrew together, and I took the tape off, I found all of those wonderous roots.....

#35159 July 19th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
Hi WEEZIE I have read about useing plastic bags to do the same thing but have never tryed it.take a clear plastic bag and cut it wrap it around below where you pealed the outer skin from the limb and tape it. fill it with peatmoss soke it real well then make sure it covers where you skined it back and tape the top of the plastic to hold in the moister and the limb will start putting on roots in abought 6 to 8 weeks.your friend in gardening.mike57

#35160 July 19th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, exactly!!!!!!
I did that with a Caryopteris clanondensis/\'Longwood Blue\'

And it worked great!!!!

The bags work good, just some times they don't always stay up or have problems getting the tape around it..
but the other cup things, I've never tried
but they are on my wish list!!!!

#35161 July 19th, 2005 at 09:58 AM
same here lol saveing pennys now.mike57

#35162 July 19th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Wow! I love that idea with the plastic bag...am going to try a little piece of lilac that way. The rock thing didn't work for me - I didn't keep after it and keep it moist enough I think. Thanks for the ideas!

#35163 July 19th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mary,
Make sure you cut into the stem,
at a leave node area,
just a wee~bit, and keep it attached
to the momma plant but cut enough
where it thinks it needs to send out roots
to live...

And some rooting hormone on it, will help!!!!
And try to keep the bag in the dark....the roots
underneath like it dark, like in the dirt..
Hence why the duct tape worked, kept the light out.

#35164 July 19th, 2005 at 11:17 AM
Wow! I love that idea with the plastic bag...am going to try a little piece of lilac that way. The rock thing didn't work for me - I didn't keep after it and keep it moist enough I think. Thanks for the ideas!

#35165 July 19th, 2005 at 11:41 AM
GRRRRRRRRRR I'm not having any luck here tonight...satellite went out and when it came back up I guess it double posted..sorry about that...then I wrote a new message and then thought to try to delete my double post and then poof lost my new msg frown

Anyway...weezie you said 'at a leave node area' that's what I did wrong...I didn't pay attention to where the wound was...just wherever I could reach it down to the soil shocked So I might try again with a blue or white plastic shopping bag - may be cover it all up with tape smile

Oh, and my last question - if method #1 will work for any bush...what will method #2 work for - trees, etc.? Or is it just an alternative to method #1? Just want to understand completely this whole propagation thing wink

#35166 July 19th, 2005 at 07:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, Mary, you have to have contact to the
soil where the leaves meet the main stem....
You can even pull off the leaves in that
spot, and then slit the stem, just below the node..
*(The roots would come out of the area from where the leaves were...)*
Then put the rooting hormone right around the node, *not tooooo much*

So I might try again with a blue or white plastic shopping bag
I have never used the plastic bag when trying to root the stem on the ground...
Usually, the plastic bag method is when the stem
is up in the air...*You can even use a sandwich bag, cut one side up the bag, load with the dirt or a spagnum moss I guess* and then duct tape around, without touching the plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard