This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35096 July 2nd, 2005 at 01:00 AM
G
OP Offline
G
My new maidenhair fern went through a couple of hot dry days and I noticed the fronds were starting to curl up. I gave it water every day after that and it had lots of new growth but the affected part of the plant continued to curl and dry up. I noticed a sign of this on the new growth today and now I'm concerned that it could be a disease. Does anyone know what could be happening. It is such a beautiful fern and I would hate to lose it. I am going to cut off the affected parts for now but would like to know if anyone knows what's happening.

#35097 July 2nd, 2005 at 03:55 AM
HI wavey girliemac i will try and help you with what i know about your fern.it sounds like its just stressed from lack of water. is your fern in direct sun? if so move it into the shade.maidenhair ferns are very delicate and require a good amount of shade to grow well. maidenhair ferns are slow growing.they grow best in zones 4 through 9.
The maidenhair fern like all ferns. requires partial to full shade and moist soil all the time.maidenhair ferns are mostly grown in shade gardens. or in hanging baskets.This fern is fairly easy to care for. needing only a good amount of shade and well drained soil that is kept moist.
most ferns prefer a good deal of humidity. misting ferns regularly is the best way to do this.
for dealing with stress.if they run out water they might die. always keep them moist.for use a soil that holds plenty of moisture yet provides some root aeration peat moss plus perlite works great for these plants. i would move it into the shade and water real well and keep it moist.it should grow back but it might be slow to do so you might lose the part that has curled up because of lack of water.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#35098 July 2nd, 2005 at 07:45 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you Mike for your advice. This is the first fern I've ever had. My friend says she never waters her ferns (but she doesn't have a maidenhair) I missed watering for a couple of days and that's when the fronds started to curl and dry up. It is in deep shade facing north under the eaves and shaded by a shed and large tree. I have trimmed the dried leaves away and still keep watering. I'm hoping I haven't lost it. You are so right - they are very fragile plants but very beautiful. I may select a different type of fern the next time. Thanks for your help. I guess I don't dare go away for a weekend.

#35099 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:31 PM
HI girliemac you are very welcome any time. if you do go away for the weekend again water well befor you go.you can also take a 2 or 3 liter drink bottle and put a very small hole in it. then fill it with water and hang it over your fern it will drip water real slow this will help keep the soil moist till you get back.yourfriend in gardening.mike57

#35100 July 3rd, 2005 at 10:10 AM
I have a maidenhair fern that I brought in for the winter. It looked like it was dying but this spring when I moved it outside, it started growing new stuff. I mist it with the hose everyday and when I'm gone, I have the kids next door squirt it with their water guns laugh It is really pretty right now!

smile

#35101 July 4th, 2005 at 12:50 AM
G
OP Offline
G
That's a great tip Mike. I am taking your advice and auntnene's and am misting every day. It hasn't worsened since I cut the damaged leaves off so time will tell. Thanks guys.

#35102 July 4th, 2005 at 01:12 AM
HI again sounds like it has perked back up.just keep it moist and keep on misting it i think it will be just fine now.glad i could help you.good luck with your fern.your friend in gardening.mike57

Link Copied to Clipboard