This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34932 July 6th, 2005 at 03:15 PM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone, I stumbled on this wonderful site while looking for information on how to care for my jade plant. I've killed one already, now my second one also looks like its in trouble, so trying to save it. I love them, and have bought another 2 recently. I'm confused about the watering part, how much water should I use? Do I take care of it like a phalaenopsis orchid? Water thoroughly and then let it dry out completely? My jade has been dropping few leaves everyday, and its worrying me. Some of the leaves dry up but some looks healthy but drop anyway. Please help me! Here's a picture of the leaf.
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=6rsgsj

#34933 July 6th, 2005 at 06:33 PM
Hi tifflo
Sorry I don't know much about jade plants, but if you type in jade plant at the top where it says google there are some links about the jade plant.
or someone else will come along and answer your question.
and welcome to the forum, nice to meet you. wavey
[Linked Image]

#34934 July 6th, 2005 at 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi there and welcome to the forum, I'm going to go ahead and move your post to the houseplant section where you'll get a lot more replies....

Laura

#34935 July 6th, 2005 at 08:42 PM
R
R
here is a really good link. scroll down to "culture" for care info. link

#34936 July 6th, 2005 at 08:50 PM
I got a varegated jade(smaller leaves than yours with white edges)I had mine get leaves like that when was getting too much sun.I don't water mine alot but I don't let the soil dry out either.I usually just let the soil stay dry to the 1st knuckle bone of index finger.I had some fall off also when was in that brighter spot.It sits on porch,but is behind a post now so is blocked from sun and no more leaves have browned.My soil is a mix of potting soil/peatmoss/gravel from fish tank.it gets westerly sun now...south sun not good.I hope that helps.
your also warmer more huh...they say when they are mature they can flower.my mom had one like yours when I grew up.I killed her small potted one(they don't make good ashtrays)her larger one I rember when it was taller than christmas tree.I bet it was 9-10 ft tall.I never seen it flower.shes not on now or I'd ask.when she moved part broke so she has 2 meduim sized ones now.she shines the leaves with mayonaise.they also do best with steady 55 temps& I don't think they like humidity well.I water mine about once weekly and empty the saucer out.I'll give a lil more water durring growth spurts& if you break stems off they will bush out.

#34937 July 6th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you very much for the link rugbyhukr... I've read it and have found it useful. wavey Afther spending the whole day in front of the computer reading about the jade plant I think my jade is not getting enough water. I usually water it once a week and only a small amount at that. I've had it for about 2 3 months now, and only this past week I'm having this problem. I hope to hear from more experts.

#34938 July 7th, 2005 at 06:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Some leaf drop is normal for a jade. And leaf that is shaded by other leaves may well drop off. It will usually either create a root to help support the weight of the plant at that joint or a branch. When it is growing you can water it very well and then let it dry like was described in an earlier post. During its dormant time it can go without water for a very long period. Fertilize during the growth spirt. Good luck with your jade.

#34939 July 7th, 2005 at 08:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jade plant info from The Garden Helper\'s main pages~growing Jade plants
Crassula argentea

Jade plant rot, Jade plant propagation

Rootless Jade

Jade Plant

Sticky Jade Plants

Jade plant Pests

And Welcome by the way to The Garden Helper's Forum....We're glad you found us!!!

#34940 July 8th, 2005 at 03:51 AM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dear tkhooper and weezie,

Thanks again for the reply. Actually I've been reading about the jade plant for the past 2 days on the internet. I'm still confused about the leaves dropping because something like 8 to 10 leaves drop from it everyday for the past week, and it's not a really big plant. Worried that it'll be naked very soon. That's what happened to my 1st one... perpl

When you water, do you water the whole plant including the leaves? And I don't see any roots on the trunk at all...

#34941 July 8th, 2005 at 04:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
no don't water the leaves.

I'm confused too mine doesn't do that unless I have it in the shade.

You do know that when they are healthy they will have a slightly brown or purple colored edge to the leaves right? So times I mention things that everyone knows because I'm the person who didn't know for the longest time lol.

#34942 July 8th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just read about it today. I just moved it nearer to the window today. Hopefully it'll like it there. Will keep a look out for that brown edges. By the way,

I went out just now and just bought another jade... he he he... Couldn't resist, this one has got that brown edge on the leaves, and I've put this on the east facing window.

Do you usually leave the plant alone after buying it or do you repot? I'm not sure what kind of potting mix it comes in. I'm worried its not the right mix...

#34943 July 8th, 2005 at 05:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
IF you take a couple of the leaves that drop
and make sure they are on TOP OF THE DIRT,
they will make new babies for you...

The end of the leaf, where it would have
been attached to the stem, is where the new
roots will come out of..
When that part of the leaf, makes contact
with DIRT, it will send out little roots,
and become a new plant..

Try it with a few that have dropped...

Keep soil slightly moist, NOT WET!!!!
AND DO NOT REPOT IT.... JADES' LIKE TO BE ROOT BOUND...... And don't water the leaves,
water the plant, let the water run out on a saucer
and then after a wee~bit, empty the saucer so it
doesn't sit in the water...

#34944 July 8th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It depends on the condition of the plant. The potting soil I have is one special for succulents. When I first got my jade is was four pieces of stem and almost totally purple in color and the soil in the pot was mud. So I did repot. I still lost three of the four starters but the one that remained has made up for it many times. It is green with a very slight purple edge and has started 3 babies pretty much on it's own without my help. 2 were from leaves dropping like Weezie explained and one was an air root that I severed from the main plant.

#34945 July 8th, 2005 at 09:41 PM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The leaves that drop, they turn black and shrivel up. Ever since reading all the posts in this forum, I've left the leaves that's dropped in hope that they become babies like you say. Thanks again for the reply, weezie and tkhooper! grinnnn

#34946 July 10th, 2005 at 05:43 PM
T
tifflo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My big jade has stopped dropping leaves, or at least nos. of leaves dropped is getting less and less, so I'd like to say thank you to all of you who's helped me. It looks like it's gonna survive after all... clp Here's a picture of it now.

[Linked Image]

I've decided to try and propagate my mini jade. After you cut it and let it callous, do you just stick it in a pot? I have some potting mix for cactus. Do you need to water the soil after that?

Here's a picture of the sad fellow. He's been losing a lot of leaves, but the trunks are still turgid, no sign of softening, just dropping leaves like mad. I've left the leaves there just in case they become little jades... shocked
[Linked Image]

Anyone can please advise me? Do you use scissors or a knife to cut it? How big a pot should I use? Will I need to repot the new jade again afterwards? That is if it survives...

#34947 July 10th, 2005 at 06:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The leaves will develope little plants right on the end where it was attached to the plant. But I haven't been able to get them past that stage. I'm not sure exactly what I should be doing at that stage.

Most people suggest a sterile knife. Clean it off with rubbing alcohol before each cut. Mine originally came in a 2 inch pot so I would say what ever you have would be good. The pot like the knife should be cleaned really well. I've heard that washing it with bleach water is a good idea and then rinsing it well (I know that's a duh right? Well I'm not very knowledgeable so I try and tell everything. Cause I am very mistake prone lol.)

I am lazy about repotting so I usually start out with the pot I want it to stay in. But that's just me being lazy lol.

I'm not sure about the moisture question. I've just been sticking them in the mothers pot to fill it out some.

Link Copied to Clipboard