This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34409 May 23rd, 2005 at 06:35 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I bought an asparagus fern, but don't have a clue what kind of light, food, or amount of water it requires. I've seen them hanging off baskets, so I put mine hanging above the kitchen sink in a south window. So far, it's not too bad, but at one point it started to brown because I let it dry out too much. There is nothing like experience to teach me. Is the asparagus a carefree plant, or does it require a lot of tender loving care.

#34410 May 23rd, 2005 at 07:01 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Asparagus ferns aren't really a fern. They are in the lily family.
They need a rich, light, slightly acidic soil. (Basically add peat moss to a good potting soil and you've got that covered.)
They need lots of water when they are growing and monthly feeding in the summer months.
Keep them out of direct sun. (partial shade)
Asparagus ferns form small bulbs that can be potted up to make new plants.

#34411 May 23rd, 2005 at 07:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Asparagus ferns require bright indirect light. Sunlight scorches the needles while not enough light causes them to drop. In good light, needles grow back quickly after a drop. A north or east window is good. Keep the soil moist and the plant pot-bound. I consider asparagus ferns to be relatively carefree; they are sensitive to change but rapidly respond to adjustments.

Hopefully this helps.

Cricket

#34412 May 23rd, 2005 at 07:08 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
laugh Hey there Wild Child... I beat you by 2 minutes! grinnnn

#34413 May 23rd, 2005 at 08:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup

#34414 May 25th, 2005 at 03:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, I'll be te Bad News Bear here.

Asparagus ferns are very prone to spider mites, mealybugs, and scale insects, in that order. Constant vigilance is required so that you can catch and treat these critters early on.

The good news is that once an infestation has taken hold, you can cut off all of the stems at the soil line and discard the infested foliage. New stems will then grow back from the below ground bulbs.

Link Copied to Clipboard