This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34392 June 10th, 2005 at 05:32 PM
L
lannie Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with this problem. My purple sand cherry blossomed beautifully this year, and then suddenly yesterday I noticed that certain branches are covered with a sticky substance (honeydew?) and little dark bumps. I sprayed it with dishwashing soap and water, but it may need more than that. It's been incredibly humid and hot here (Toronto Ontario) for over a week now.
Thanks!
Lannie

#34393 June 11th, 2005 at 12:28 PM
Hi Lannie wavey ,
I have always loved sand cherries myself and look forward to the white flowers followed by the great color of the leaves thumbup . I have never encountered your problem, I am usually fighting deer and Japanese beetles. This year caterpillars were more active then the past and I found myself picking the little critters off instead of spraying teech . Good Luck!!

#34394 June 15th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
LMT Offline
Does it look like This Pic? If so, cut it off and discard.

#34395 June 15th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
L
lannie Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you to both LMT and BFVISION!

The trouble does look like LMT's picture - that was very helpful. I'm going to follow both of your suggestions - I'll take off one example and bring it to the local garden centre, and then I'm going to really prune the bush.

Lannie

#34396 June 19th, 2005 at 06:23 PM
P
P
Originally posted by lannie:
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with this problem. My purple sand cherry blossomed beautifully this year, and then suddenly yesterday I noticed that certain branches are covered with a sticky substance (honeydew?) and little dark bumps. I sprayed it with dishwashing soap and water, but it may need more than that. It's been incredibly humid and hot here (Toronto Ontario) for over a week now.
Thanks!
Lannie

#34397 June 19th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
P
P
Hello, I'm not far from Toronto :-)

We had the same problem , one year the Sandcherry was gorgious, beautiful little flowers on it, then it got sick.....

in our case it turned out to be grubs in the ground, so hubby put some pellets in the ground to kill the grubs, it is not producing much flower, however it has not died, and the little foilage that it does have, is staying and the Sandcherry itslef is healthier looking...

I also read that Sandcherry's don't have a very long life span too though ... so I guess we will have to wait and see next summer how well it does

Link Copied to Clipboard