This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34320 June 26th, 2005 at 08:42 PM
OP Offline
Hello Everyone,

I am starting some herbs for my thyroid. I was wondering if anyone knows the most CRUCIAL herbs, minerals, vitamins, etc. Necessary for proper thyroid function. Right now I am taking Tyrosine, Kelp, Guggul, Bladderwrack, hawthorne berry, chromium, b6, and other little trace minerals, all in this one pill. Does anyone know of a reason why I SHOULD NOT, take this , such as terrible side effects. It been 3 days, and everything is A-OK!

Thanks!!

Ninni

#34321 June 26th, 2005 at 09:23 PM
Hi Ninniwinky
Do you have an overactive (hyper) or underactive(hypo) functioning thyroid? Gimme a little more info and I'll be able to tell you more.
Christina muggs

#34322 June 26th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
OP Offline
oh geez, I can't believe I didn't tell you which, it is hypo-thyroid. I went to the dr. and he said he would have to do blood tests to Clinically diagnose me, but he is Certain it is a hypothyroid condition. I did the temperature thing every morning and it is never above 97.4 EVER! and so many other little things he told me to try that indicate the Hypothyroid condition.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

#34323 June 27th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
OP Offline
I forgot to add, the reason for the herbs is that I don't want to use the synthetic thyroid hormone the dr. is speaking about. I would rather try to do this naturally....

Thanks!!

ninni

#34324 June 27th, 2005 at 05:52 AM
Hey Ninni...its actually pretty normal to have the as your waking temperature. Anywhere from 97.0-98.0 is a normal waking temperature. And, as a person with the hypothyroid also, I would really be careful. The blood tests are not bad at all (and I HATE needles) and if you go too long with your thryroid not doing things correctly, you can really mess up your whole body. Personally, I would get the blood tests first and look at the FSH levels before you start your experiment with the herbs and then set a time limit for when you will go back and get a blood test again to compare. I take just 1 pill for it every night and its not bad, really. Every 3 or 4 monhts, I get a blood test to make sure that things are the way they need to be. Just my personal opinion here....but its coming from someone who has already been through all of this (not with the herbs tho) and knows how bad things can get if you don't have the correct thyroid functions.

#34325 June 27th, 2005 at 06:23 AM
OP Offline
Thanks For the reply, I know, I know your right... eek the darn blood tests have to get done.... sca
I am going to have him do the tests this week. Thats a good idea getting it checked every three to 4 months to see how its going. Mom was telling me, and I was reading, the havoc your thyroid can cause.
So Jenn, are you on medication still? and what has it done for you and to you. I have heard about some crazy side effects from prescription thyroid stuff... but I have struggled with my weight all my life, and it beginning to make sense to us why I can eat a sandwich and my sister eats a sandwich and I gain weight and she doesnt...That stinks!!! I would love to hear more about your experiences with this jenn...

Thanks!!!!

ninni

#34326 July 5th, 2005 at 09:20 PM
OP Offline
hello Christina C,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on those herbs I mentioned?

Thanks,

Ninni

#34327 July 14th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
T
T
A thyroid deficiency is too serious to try to "treat" yourself. The "synthetic" thyroid is very inexpensive and works well. YOu need that blood test.

#34328 August 5th, 2005 at 11:00 PM
E
E
Ninni,
I also have hypothroid and I am in agreement with the others - do the blood tests and talk to your doctor. If you really don't want to do the synthetic stuff see if you can find a naturopath or homeopath in your area. The are professionals in natural medicine and they can help you better than we can. Your body is far too important to mess around with if you don't know what you're doing.
Elisabeth

#34329 August 22nd, 2005 at 08:20 PM
P
P
Please check this link.

#34330 August 22nd, 2005 at 10:38 PM
U
uki Offline
U
wavey Hi ninny,I think I can help you a little,my thyroid was removed last october and it took them until march this year to tell me it was cancer,I was on the daily pill and felt fine.But in order for my treatment I had to go into "hypo-hell" they took the pills away for 5 weeks and the 2 last weeks I had to stay on a low iodine diet.I was feeling really bad,no energy,tired but unable to sleep,nightmares,emotional rollercoaster,very unpleasant.This week I got my radioactive treatment and was able to take the pills again,I have to take them for the rest of my life but that is not bad compared to going into hypo.The bloodwork is not bad either,please talk with your doctor about that teech

#34331 October 2nd, 2005 at 02:28 PM
Hi all, I am flowermom, a newbie to this site, this is my first post. I also have hypothyroidism...funny word! My doctor prescribed synthroid and I have been on it for a little over a month, she had said I would lose weight (I also gain just watching others eat), I havnt lost any weight yet...I didnt realize this condition could be so troublesome. BTW, I really love this site, I have enjoyed reading the posts.

#34332 October 2nd, 2005 at 08:19 PM
I like the idea of seeing a Dr. that specializes in natural remedies instead of trying to guess what to take. My blood work happens to test *normal* but I have a nodule on my thyroid so I have had all the biopsies, iodine uptake, blood work ect. They shut my thyroid down and are giving me synthroid.... hoping it will shrink. I have gained weight but can't take a higher dose because I'm not really hypo or hyper-thyroid luv

#34333 October 3rd, 2005 at 09:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
auntnene, check with your dr, and see where in the "normal" spectrum you are. i am at the side of "normal" that i could take a slightly lower dose of synthroid, but if i do, i too end up in hypo trouble. my dr told me that the range of normal is just that, a range, and true normal is different for each person.

ninni, i've been on synthroid for nearly 5 years AND i've lost over 20 lbs (slowly, surely, and without doing anything "special") and i have discovered that several of my other medical conditions are responding to less treatment than before the synthroid. so, please, please, get the tests, take the meds, and be very careful. synthroid is one of the longest monitored synthetic hormones, and is by far the safest. in fact, much safer than not taking it if you need it! (by the way, jenn and i have compared notes, several times, and she's right. it can make things very weird!)

#34334 October 7th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
J
Jon Offline
J
Hi folks

Did some strong talking with a Vetrinarian - - - I know "vets treat animals, not humans smile but when the docs came back with a reading of 10.77 on a norm of 2.5 - 5.0 I wanted more than some PA to talk to - and we have a vet with us to help the Iraqis - so I asked her - - "what do you know about thyroid" - - she asked do you want the short answer which will take a few hours or the long answer that will take far longer. It turned out to be one of her specialties. Thank the good Lord.

Well - they put me on synthroid. One of the keys for me was that while I was losing some inches with excessive amounts of exercise - no weight loss since March - when I reported back t the Army. Since I started the synthroid - with some diet and continuing the exercise but toned back - I have dropped from 195 to 180 in 30 days.

What I was told about the synthroid - - the body will naturally slough off what it does not need - you cannot overdose on it like some (most) drugs. While the docs keep a track on blood work - it is not because synthroid can "hurt" us but because with the thyroid acting up - other things can also act up - and the blood work will catch them.

Well - - I had hoped to be able to control via diet and exercise -- and I was wrong. Civilian docs had told me I had hypothyroid - but I did not want to listen to them and take the meds. I'm horrid in that area - I don't do meds. Well, guess I will have to now.

Flowermom - - what I do know about the synthroid as a diet aid -- it takes it off slowly - same as it went on - unless you do other things to help it.

Jon

PS - Keep the Iraqi constitution process in prayer and pray for safety over here.

Link Copied to Clipboard