This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34164 February 23rd, 2005 at 05:03 AM
R
rammcn Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I live in Southern Ontario Canada. I removed 2 walnut trees 2 years ago . I still have trouble growing in the vicinity.Any suggestions.
rammcn

#34165 February 23rd, 2005 at 06:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
rammcn,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

Can we ask what you've done to grow stuff??

Did you just rototill the dirt and plant?
Did you get a soil test done by your local
Cooperative Extension???
Did you try any different planting method?
ie: raised beds, compost, organic fertilizers??
And what did you try to grow that didn't grow?
Just out of curiousity??? Duh

gab Weezie

#34166 February 23rd, 2005 at 02:55 PM
T
T
Rammon,
The biggest problem with Walnut trees are just what you said acidic soil. I do quite a bit of tree removal and last year I removed a walnut stump from a tree that had ben cut about fifteen years earlier. The stump had not rotted even after that long. This particular stump had to come out because the fellow was putting in a driveway over the spot. When I got the stump home I power washed it and cut carving blanks out of it and a few of the larger roots. the only good way to stop your problem is total removal. The problem with removing it is the stump goes half way to China and you will have one heck of a hole from a larger size tree. Only tree that I have found harder to dig out is ash or grape vines. If I lived closer I could grind all the stump and surface roots down a foot deep. That would be the second best solution.

Link Copied to Clipboard