This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34084 July 1st, 2005 at 10:52 AM
OP Offline
I have a beautiful healthy honeysuckle plant on my deck, obviously in a container. I live in the Northeast so winter will be upon me before I know it. I would love to enjoy this plant next summer season also...any suggestions/advice as to what to do to it for the cold?...Can I prune it back and cover it?...bring it inside?
Thanks for any and all advice =)

#34085 July 1st, 2005 at 10:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I live in the Northeast so winter will be upon me before I know it.
sca Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, frown don't say that, I'm still lala
planting my vegetable garden for pete's sake!!! wink laugh

Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We're very glad you found us...

I'm not too sure on your plant, as I've
not grown one of those or brought it in doors...
But I'm sure someone will come thru and help you
with some answers...

Don't forget to take a peak around..
There's lot's to do here, especially WHEN WINTER COMES, WHICH WON'T BE FOR A VERYYYYYY LONG TIME FROM NOW!!!! wink laugh There's lot's to do, every season that's apon us... so, jump right on in...

#34086 July 1st, 2005 at 06:41 PM
Hi Ceil! I believe you're zone 6 too (?) and my SIL has some honeysuckle growing around a tree - shk - She never takes it indoors, just lets it go until it gets too outta control in the summer - it grew like 'gangbustas' this year - and then she cuts it back a bit (quite a bit!) to tame it a little. No problems leaving it out year round for her. I hope that's helped! Welcome to the forum - this is a great place to be wink

#34087 July 1st, 2005 at 08:24 PM
R
R
When plants are in the ground the roots are protected. Ground freezes, in your zone, to a max depth of about 6 inches. Most root systems are deeper than this & can survive over winter. Especially if there is 3 inches of mulch over top. Then, the ground freezes to a depth of 3 inches.

For container plants, alot of folks put them in the garage next to the house wall where they can get residual heat. If your garage stays pretty cold, you can insulate your containers by surrounding them with mulch. Get a small tub; put in your containers; completely surround them & cover the soil surface.

#34088 July 4th, 2005 at 06:49 AM
OP Offline
I'm right on the edge of zone 5-6...in Connecticut...
I dont have my own basement per say, just a storage unit that stays pretty cold during the winter months...
So...I'll trim it back and cover it in burlap and hope next summer it comes back to life.
Thanks for the advice..
=)
wink grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard