This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34073 August 7th, 2005 at 10:06 PM
K
Kebab Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A friend of mine bought me an Aloe plant, which has been sprouting a couple of new leaves and doing very nicely, however, it is just starting to lose its bright green colour, and basically doesn't look very healthy any more! Can anyone give me any idea how to rescue him?

#34074 August 13th, 2005 at 03:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Kebab,
Hi, I'm not too well versed with house plants,
but I just wanted you to know that I was going
to move your post into the HOUSE plant SECTION,
I"m sure you'll get a few more responses in
there for your Aloe plant.!!!

#34075 August 13th, 2005 at 03:43 AM
K
Kebab Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks a lot, any help would be greatly appreciated, as, this lil guy is a godsend for me when the mosquitoes attack - which is on a daily basis! (i have an allergic reaction to the bites and the aloe stuff is wonderfully soothing)

Thanks!

#34076 August 14th, 2005 at 08:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What kind of conditions are you growing it in?

Loss of color could mean it's not getting enough light. I've noticed that my aloes outside have better coloration than the ones inside. The ones that get the most light also have firmer,larger leaves.

G-Mom grinnnn

#34077 August 28th, 2005 at 11:48 PM
D
D Offline
D
Gardenmom is right; when your aloe starts to get colorless it's cuz it isnt getting enough sun. I have my aloes outside and they are green as grass. If u have to keep it indoors I guess pick a place with lots and lots of sun. Oh and don't water too much either.

D

#34078 August 29th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
I miss my aloe!! I had a couple of great plants when I was in So Cal, but haven't dreamt of trying them here in the Pacific NW.

Kebab... Give 'em sun. Pluck those deliciously soothing leaves! Do it for all of us above the sunlight meridian!! smile

#34079 August 30th, 2005 at 07:07 PM
N
N
Aloe is an independant plant, it likes to be left to it's devices, if you fuss with to much it will suffer for it. My poor aloe has had a rough life sence I got it early this summer, I started not giving it enough light- it's branches got all droopy, mushy, and dark. then I over watered stripping away all the roots. It looked just miserable until I took it outside in the sun and left it to take care of itself. I just repotted it and it has huge roots, and bright color, all it's branches pointing to the sun. The lesson with Aloe is less is more, give it as much sunlight as possible, and only a small amount of water now and then, and leave it alone. They are nearly indestructable if you just let it be. I am amazed my plant is still alive, several times I didn't think it would make it.

#34080 August 31st, 2005 at 10:04 PM
L
L
my Auntie gave me a starting of aloe Vera plant ..the roots are gone ..how do i get it restarted..anyone know.--thanks

#34081 August 31st, 2005 at 10:43 PM
L
L
Can anyone HELP me ..i have an Aloe Vera plant that has no roots..how do i get it to restart it's self..I had a friend to tell me to put one in water and it would root it killed that one.And i really hate to loose this one..can anybody tell me if i can save this poor little plant .
Thanks
ters

#34082 August 31st, 2005 at 11:21 PM
N
N
I am no expert but I said I lost all the roots on mine. I just took the bare stalk and dipped it into a rooting medium following the directions on the package,and put it back into the cactus soil. I didn't water it for several weeks, and then only sparingly. I have nice big roots again.

#34083 August 31st, 2005 at 11:35 PM
L
L
Thank you NewLife i will try that see if it works for me.thank you so much.hopefuly it will..I just hate to loose my Aloe Vera plant..I don't have any problems growing out side but in side that's where i have no green thumb at all.lolololo.
but thanks for helping me out.
Thanks
DeeDee

Link Copied to Clipboard