This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34044 June 18th, 2005 at 02:32 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Normally, I try NOT to kill anything (it doesn't always work, however)

But, I'd like to get rid of some Eucalyptus trees on State land that block my view. They were planted as a slope retainer back in the 60's, and the slope could do very well without them.

The state does little to trim or maintain them, and some of the branches are broken and hanging down.

Anybody have any surreptitious way of poisoing these things? THEN, the state will have to take them down.

I know there is a current pest from Australia that is taking some of these things out in CA, but getting some of those would be a real trick.

Thanks for any input.

#34045 June 18th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I have mimosa trees and I was thinking of boiling saltwater. If it takes out the poison oak and other weeds in that area too no problem. Think it will work?

#34046 June 18th, 2005 at 02:49 AM
Dare i tell you how to kill my countries native tree emblem? Nah. I just can't do it TK. It's possibly illegal too.
Ringbarking them with a tomahawk would work but might attract a little attention. Of course if you're holding a tomahawk with a crazy look in your eye you're unlikely to get lots of opposition.
Then again you could unleash a pack of ravenous koalas onto them. They eat eucalyptus leaves. Only certain species mind you.
Have you thought of ringing the dept of whatever and asking them to maintain the trees? Maybe suggest they are looking dangerous to kids riding their bikes underneath and need a trim. Or you could always consider that you have a view of some trees. Better than house roofs;)

#34047 June 18th, 2005 at 03:07 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I thought mimosa came from China? Please tell me how to get rid of them or I'm not going to have a garden I'm going to have a plantation of mimosa and poison oak. Not exactly on the plan. And believe me there are plenty left over. Jimmy cut them down to about 3 foot stumps and they came back with more trunks than ever. It is bad here. Help Help being overrun!!!!!!!!!

#34048 June 18th, 2005 at 03:17 AM
ROFL TK. I was talking about the eucalypts. I can't even spell mimosa. (Wow. Looky that. I just did.) I think they're a woody weed like a bramble or blackberry right? In that case, you need to get a goat. Best woody weed killers on the organic planet. Probably get the same reaction as a wild eyed tomahawk wielder too:)

#34049 June 18th, 2005 at 03:23 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
hehehehe I can just see my landlord now. That should be fun. Maybe some of that acid stuff that burns the stumps?

#34050 June 18th, 2005 at 04:03 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The boiling salt water didn't even wither a left. Man those things are strong. This is going to be war I'm sure.

#34051 June 18th, 2005 at 04:44 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the input, friends. I've thought of taking a rasp and putting in my cordless drill and running it around the things cutting thru the cambium (sp) layer.

The state does some maintenance, but only on the side where they grow out over the road.

Someone mentioned drilling a 6 foot hole with an auger and puring muratic acid down it.

#34052 June 18th, 2005 at 04:45 AM
M
OP Offline
M
TK - maybe you should try the "acid test"

#34053 June 18th, 2005 at 04:49 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Longy, can you bag up some of those Longhorn Borers you folks downunder have and FedEx them to me? I'll send you some Aussie dollars I have from when I was there in the 70's.

#34054 June 19th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
Longicorn beetles are my namesake. I can't be sending them off as mercenaries.

TK, when Jimmy cut the mimosa and poison oak down, an immediate paint with neat glyphosate on the trunks would possibly have worked. Don't be putting acid and crap in your soil. Geez, there are woody weed killers available, i'm just not sure what they are sold as over there or the rates etc. Talk to an expert.

Hey mrtomato, check if the Ozy notes you have, have written on the top "Commonwealth of Australia" or just "Australia". The former are worth more money to collectors i believe, esp the 20's. Send the lot anytime. The beetles are in the mail. Fair dinkum!

Link Copied to Clipboard