This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33920 July 4th, 2005 at 10:07 AM
OP Offline
A little over a month ago I planted two butterfly plants. One Orange B.P., another a Delphinium Blue. The orange one popped up immediately, and there's a straight green plant with fuzzy leaves. The only problem is that it wilts like crazy. It completely keeled over. It's watered, planted in a pot with good soil and fertilizer, and has Full sun. I tied it to a stake, but it still wilts.

The Delphinium Blue had fragile little sprouts that looked like bean sprouts, but those are gone now, I'm afraid it's sick or dead.

What can I do to save my plants??
Please Help!

#33921 July 5th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
HI butterflylover_52 it sounds pretty bad poor plants. you might try moveing them into the shade for a few days and see if that helps.i have mine planted in the ground they recive about 1/2 day of sun and mine loves water and lots of it.since yours are young plants and in a pots the pots might be getting hot from the sun and cooking the roots.just a guess though.hope this helps and good luck with your plants.your friend in gardening.mike57

#33922 July 5th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
R
R
Agreed.

Newly potted plants should be kept in the shade, but receiving plenty of light, until they get established.

Even then, I only allow wooden containers or second level containers (one housing the actual pot)to receive full sun. My terracotta pots are set so that the sun cannot hit them. For instance, I have a jasminum polyanthum in terracotta that I have set behind a pole which blocks the direct morning sun & allows the plant direct light.

#33923 July 5th, 2005 at 08:32 AM
OP Offline
Thanks a lot!
I hope moving them will be the end of my problems! Hmmm, I just planted 9 daylily plants, they're doing great-but in the same place as butterfly plants- Should I move those too?

Oh!sorry-1 more question- these are all pereniannals- will they flower this year?

You two have beeen so helpful!
thumbup

#33924 July 5th, 2005 at 08:46 PM
HI wavey again no do not move your daylillys unless there still in pots.they will do just fine if there in the ground they will grow just abought anywhere even in the shade.i have lots n lots of them you cant hardly kill them even if you try.if there in pots plant them they will do better and multiply and then you can devide them to add to your flower beds to get even more blooms.have they already bloomed for you this year?are there any stalks on them? if not they might still bloom this year if not they will next year for sure. i devide mine evry 3 years.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw

#33925 July 6th, 2005 at 09:34 PM
OP Offline
Thanks mike but I have no choice but to leave them in pots. I live on a ledge, and have about 4 in. of bad soil in my backyard. I don't even have a lawn. Now everything is dirt. My famliy's tried sod, seed, fertilizer, everything. The daylilies are growing, the leaves are healthy. But I'll move them out of the sun for a little while. The only garden I can have out there is a plastic potted one. Thanks for all of your help!! wavey wink kit

#33926 July 13th, 2005 at 06:41 AM
A
A
I am assuming you are referring to Buddleias.

They don't like too much heat and sun until they are well established. If you have them in pot try keeping the lower half of the plant and especially the pot in shade all day.

Link Copied to Clipboard