This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33894 June 11th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi. I live in central Canada, and I would like to plant some roses. I would like to overwinter a tender variety. I have called some greenhouses asking if they carry the type of rose that I want, but none of them seem to have it. The type of roses I want are called "Tender roses" I beleive. You know the kind that you buy in a florist? They look like the kind that would come in a bouquet with the long stems.
Anyways, I was wondering if I could plant those. But, every time I call a florist and ask for tender roses, they just say "Tender roses?...uh...no...we don't have those...". They always sound really confused at my question, so I was wondering if there was another name for them or something. Do they grow in a rosebush like other flowers, or do you just plant them in the ground? Also, are they expensive?
I prefer the white and pink varietys.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! flw

#33895 June 12th, 2005 at 12:11 AM
Is this what you are looking for?????

http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?cat=Cot&pid=7580&cc=g&dn=75

BTW--
[Linked Image]

To the Forum...

#33896 June 12th, 2005 at 12:13 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
the american beauty is the long stem red rose bud used alot down here. It's name is the american bueaty rose. So I think you need to find the prosice long stem you are longing for and then ask for that. I've never hear of them referred to as tender. But then I am a beginner. I wouldn't know about that american beauty if it wasn't for a florist that used to deliver a lot of roses to a building I worked in.

#33897 June 12th, 2005 at 12:20 AM
TK,
If the American Beauty is red then what's the name of the pink one I have?? You know the one I posted a pic of a while back?

#33898 June 12th, 2005 at 12:33 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'll bet you it's a species and they come in a variety of colors. The one I was acquainted with was the one that holds the bud shape for a long time and after it blooms the stem bends very quickly and it's pretty much at the end of it's life as a cut flower. Does that describe how yours acted?

There are others that last a long time in full bloom instead of the bud stage.

The problem with growing long stem roses in my humble opinion is that they make lousy looking bushes lol. I'm going to get pounded for that opinion I'm sure. I love climbing roses and tea roses for growing. For a full bodied flower I think the peonies actually out performs the rose in a cut flower arrangement. Easier to care for too. Now that I have made enemies everywhere lol I think it's time to send this post on its way. lol

#33899 June 12th, 2005 at 12:44 AM
I agree about the lousy bush part but the roses sure are great. I don't know about how long it lasts cut because I never picked it. I left it on the bush. If you like climbing roses you would drool over my Queen Elizabeth that I planted this year. It started out bare root and it's almost 5 feet tall already in just 3 months!!!! It hasn't bloomed yet though. I wish my other two were doing that well. I lost my Joseph's Coat; I might try again with it next year...

#33900 June 12th, 2005 at 12:49 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I like the joseph coat, I'm sorry you lost yours.

Link Copied to Clipboard