This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33751 July 26th, 2005 at 06:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My Aphelandra squarrosa is slowly losing all its bottom leaves but supports lots of vigourous top growth. It is on an unobstructed south-facing windowsill where other than the leaf-loss the plant seems to be thriving. Some of the dropped leaves yellow first, others fall green. The plant has dried out several times. Although the it doesn't appear too large for its pot and it was repotted (but not up potted - Hi Will wavey ) in January it needs watering every one to two days or the leaves wilt like a thirsty peace lily. There are no apparent pests. Could the leaf drop be due to underwatering?

Cricket

#33752 July 26th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Cricket,

Zebra plants do not tolerate dryness to the point of wilting at all. It is best to water thoroughly as soon as the surface of the soil feels dry.

Zebras quite naturally grow tall and leggy even in the best of circumstances, so it is a matter of time before they need to be pruned back. You can try rooting the cutting in a plastic tent, but the success rate is not high.

BTW, I know from previous correspondence with you that your south facing window is obstructed by a large overhanging roof deck. Although you may have a clear view out your window, the overhang blocks a considerable amount of light. A normal south-facing window receives many hours of direct sun every day, something that yours does not. Direct sun would be too much for a Zebra plant.

(Interesting tag line!)

#33753 July 26th, 2005 at 09:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Will. The plant has dried out more than once and it didn't get watered at all when I was recently away for five days. muggs But it is my patio door that is obstructed by the deck overhang. The window in which the zebra plant sits is an unobstructed part of the house and receives direct sun all afternoon. I'll post a photo as soon as my camera batteries finish recharging.

Direct sun would be too much for a Zebra plant.
Oops! shocked What exposure should it be in?

#33754 July 26th, 2005 at 10:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

And after the removal of dying leaves...
[Linked Image]

#33755 July 27th, 2005 at 07:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Cricket,

Photos do not lie, so I must stand corrected. Apparently your Zebra has adapted quite well to the direct sun you have provided. Yours is one of the healthier older Zebras I have seen.

What leaves you have lost were undoubtedly a result of the occasional episodes of drought, which is what you had suggested in your original question.

I wish I had just said, "Yes," and left it at that instead of pontificating as I am oft inclined to do. Thank you for puncturing my pomposity - I need that from time-to-time!

If you have any questions about Zebra plants, please contact Cricket.

#33756 July 27th, 2005 at 07:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yours is one of the healthier older Zebras I have seen.
Thanks, Will!

Thank you for puncturing my pomposity
Oh no! shocked My intention was only to clarify the Zebra's environment. You are NEVER pompous! kissies It would have been helpful for me to post photos at the same time the original question was posed.

Will the leaves grow back if I water more diligently? And what exposure is optimum for Zebra plants?

#33757 July 27th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have any questions about Zebra plants, please contact Cricket.
laugh laugh Like Cricket knows anything about Zebra plants!

#33758 July 27th, 2005 at 08:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cricket, you are very kind.

The fallen leaves will not grow back. All new growth will continue to grow at the tops of the stems.

More diligent watering will help prevent further lower leaf loss.

Optimum light is the light that it has most recently had. The new leaves on your Zebra are adapted to the light you provided when they emerged. Leaves grown in indirect light might washout if given the same exposure. Isn't it remarkable how adaptable plants can be? Of course, that often leads to confusion as to what is best for a particular plant and sometimes makes a liar out of me! LOL!

#33759 July 27th, 2005 at 08:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the wild, I have seen Zebras feeding off of Crickets!

#33760 July 27th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fallen leaves will not grow back.
I guess I now have a Zebra tree! laugh

In the wild, I have seen Zebras feeding off of Crickets!
grinnnn

#33761 July 27th, 2005 at 08:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't it remarkable how adaptable plants can be? Of course, that often leads to confusion as to what is best for a particular plant and sometimes makes a liar out of me!
So annoying when plants do that! perpl And you wonder why I talk to my plants! wink

#33762 July 27th, 2005 at 08:45 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love you too. That's a nice looking plant. My apartment has spider mites. I thought I had gotten rid of them but they just came and attacked my parsley so no more house plants for me. I'm so upset.

#33763 July 27th, 2005 at 09:23 PM
I was growing one of these....quiet nicely too....and had made a "Y and had 2 yellow flowers...then my hubbys rotti knocked it.plant did not survive..My SIL bought one though last week(she even seen my double bloom at new years).
Mine wouldn't take full sun.But TX sun is lots warmer than where your at way up north of me.I'd winter it indoors in a southern expousre for winter,but then its gotton north side of house and was quiet happy.Mine was about yours size,but I had mine potted up a size from yours.Temp drops below 50 usually cause leaf drop and so do spider mites(Debra got a spider mite lesson yesterday in walmart)

I loved this plant.The foliage is nice and the flower is neat also.I had orange(well bronze) panseys in pot once with them.

#33764 July 28th, 2005 at 03:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Njoynit,

Too bad about your Zebra plant! Is the rotti still in your bad books? (I notice it is hubby's rotti lala ).

This is my first Zebra plant. The foliage is lovely on its own but I love the challenge of getting flowering houseplants to bloom and the yellow flower is so pretty and long-lasting.

No signs of spider mites. You are so right about the Texas sun being hotter than here. Still, I do watch the plant closely for signs of sun damage. And I am repotting it into a slightly larger pot. Our weather the last few days is hot so I am having to water twice daily. I can't see myself doing that for long! :rolleyes:

Pansies planted with the Zebra would look very sharp. Do you have photos?

#33765 July 28th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tammy,

No reason to get rid of all your houseplants because of spider mites. I know they are upsetting especially when they come back after you think you have gotten rid of them. But they can be treated successfully.

#33766 July 28th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Mr. Creed...

Sorry, that member's private message mailbox is currently full. Please try sending your private message another time.
p

Link Copied to Clipboard