This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33674 June 9th, 2005 at 08:59 PM
N
newlife Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have a baby spider plant,step by step what do I do with it? It has already been cut off of the mother. someone told me to put it in water, someone else said it can root in soil, what is the best way?

#33675 June 9th, 2005 at 09:08 PM
Hi newlife,

I prefer to put them in water, if I can. I use a little glass decorative rooter similar to this one

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/s...9689&lstCategory=0&RecGroupNum=9

It keeps it off the counter and near my other plants. There are some plants that do better in soil, with rooting hormone, but this is one that will do great in water. Hope this helps.

Tessa flw

#33676 June 9th, 2005 at 09:27 PM
I just pot mine up in soil and let it grow. Whichever is easiest for you is the way you should do it.

By the way, welcome to the Garden Helper. This is a great place to get information on anything and everything! wink

Dianna

#33677 June 9th, 2005 at 09:39 PM
Hi Newlife,
Welcome to the site!! wavey
Now-- about your plant-- if you will notice on the "bottom" of the leaves there should be little "nodes" and if it was left on the mother long enough they probably resemble roots. That's exactly what they are. The difference between putting them in water and putting them directly into soil is the type of root system they will develope. The ones in water will need to adapt their roots to soil when you do pot it so it might be a little bit of a shock to the plant. But they usually tend to do well once they get started. I have done it both ways and in my experience the ones I start in water seem to grow larger sooner that the ones I have put directly into the soil. But like Dianna said which ever works best for you-- its a matter of preference. One final note-- mine tends to do better slightly rootbound.

Link Copied to Clipboard