This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33488 August 4th, 2005 at 06:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I had put all of the houseplants that enjoyed the great outdoors out this spring. Fall will be here soon, and some of them have put lots of growth on and have outgrown their containers. Is it ok to go ahead and repot them before they come indoors for the winter? Also, what can I do to get rid of the little critters that are currently calling my houseplants home? Thanks!

#33489 August 4th, 2005 at 08:28 PM
<GASP> I'm going to tell Will. You said "repot". shk
She said 'repot'!! Connie said 'REPOT'!! ooooh. Wait till Will hears.

#33490 August 4th, 2005 at 10:42 PM
Hi Connie,
Most house plants like to be pot bound. So I wouldnt repot yet,unless the roots are prodruding out the drainage holes.
As far as the "little critters" it may depend on what type they are as far as what to use to get rid of them.

#33491 August 4th, 2005 at 11:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks! The other day I noticed that some spiders had taken up residence in my kalanchoe and jade plants.

My jade and mother of thousands have both grown like crazy. They don't even look like the same plants. That was the one I was really wondering about needing a larger pot was the mother of thousands. It came in a cactus we bought and it was tiny. We put it in a little pot and this spring put it outside. It is huge now.

#33492 August 5th, 2005 at 05:37 AM
Connie,
My sister gave me a couple of Mother-of-thousands a few years ago. I kept them inside until last year. Long story short, they made more but the plants that I started out with have died. I read that these are annuals. However, my sister has had hers for years, they are extremely tall & hers blooms for her. How long have you had yours and what kind of experiences have you had?

#33493 August 5th, 2005 at 07:15 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I just got mine last fall. They came along in a pot that had a little cactus in it and we put it in a pot by itself and watered infrequently (since it is a succulent). I put it outside with the other cactuses this spring and it really took off. I had to repot it because it really outgrew its pot and it has babies dropping off it all over the place now. Mine hasn't bloomed. I guess we will see what it does in the fall after I bring it in.

#33494 August 5th, 2005 at 10:36 PM
When are these things SUPPOSED to bloom? I purchased mine in February or March and it was blooming then. I currently don't have anything that looks as big and healthy as the one that was blooming-is late winter the natural time for them to flower or do you think it was forced by the grower?

#33495 August 5th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
As far as repotting it, I just recently did mine and they all seem to be liking it. Don't forget-these things grow wild in Australia and are very hard to get rid of. Mine were kinda crowded in the old pot and I thought that they might not get to grow big enough to flower if left all cramped up. They showed no signs of stress after repotting and actually look bigger and stronger (most were flopping over) since the "big surgery". I also have a jade plant outside that NEEDS repotting-the roots are growing through the holes and into the dirt and out. I was thinking I should repot it now so the roots don't get damaged, but I don't know......

#33496 August 5th, 2005 at 11:11 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I didn't even know they were supposed to bloom! I had just stuck the little tag along in a pot alone and it must really like the great outdoors. My jade has grown so much I wouldn't believe it is the same plant from before. I need to check it and see if it is still comfy in that pot. I have had it for 5 or more years and never repotted it. I think it must not have been getting enough light where it was.

#33497 August 6th, 2005 at 08:57 AM
Here's some pics of mine when I first got it and it was in bloom:
full view
flowers
My husband swore that this was the ugliest plant he's ever seen, but I love it cuz it's so unique-the flower stalks were so tall, and it bloomed for quite a while-good luck with it!

#33498 August 6th, 2005 at 07:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Wow, that is beautiful! I sure hope that mine blooms too!

#33499 August 8th, 2005 at 07:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Katharyn's screams all the way from Portland, although it took 3 days to travel that far!

Fall is not a good time to repot, especially plants that are movfrom a great outdoor growing environment to a much less favorable indoor environment. AS the light is reduced, so is the growth rate, including the roots. A larger pot and added soil will greatly increase the chances of root rot, especially for a succulent, such as a Kalanchoe. If it didn't need a larger pot a month ago, then it certainly does not need one now as the fall approaches.

BTW, roots growing out of drainage holes do not mean the pot is too small.

If the critters are on the leaves, use a forceful spray of plain water to knock them loose. If they are in the soil, then plunge the pot up to its rim in a sink or tub of plain water. Wait about 30 minutes. This will force the critters up and out in search of air.

#33500 August 8th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks so much Will...I will wash those critters out!

Link Copied to Clipboard