This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33417 December 10th, 2005 at 10:50 PM
OP Offline
Not sure if I have this under the right topic, it is a fruit.

I had purchased a pineapple from the store (3 years ago), it had grown in a container & moved indoors during the winter. I harvested the best tasting pineapple this past August. The top of that fruit is well rooted & growing.

My question, the orginal mother plant has a "baby" growing. The plant is indoors for the winter & I am wondering what I do now?

I've searched the archives & the answer is not there. Is there anyone that can help me?

#33418 December 11th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
I reckon it'll just slow down its growth and will continue to form the fruit once the weather warms and it is outside in the sun again. Mine are outside all year and in winter they seem to go into suspended animation. No real growth takes place really until the weather warms again.

#33419 December 21st, 2005 at 01:35 AM
My neighbor grows one.hers has a small fruit on it now growing.she did tell me are 7 different kinds of pineapple& that of course DOLE has the best.I have what she calls"some type".It has not flowered for me....but has set off a baby.she told me to let the baby grow for now.let it form good roots& then remove it.I have it in a 3 gallon pot currently and its in my cold GH.It grew in cold GH last year also.

I got another with pink flushes on the leaves.I dug it from ground& is likely a baby.its in peat with a lil potting mix in a 8 inch pot till spring.its edges are very sharp.

So Longy...ya think roots are still developeing?I did get some growth last winter.but was better lighting last year,but do have 2 grow light bulbs.so some get more than others,but will regroup for next good rainfall(I move plants out for showers& clean up and bring back in..always new discoverys...)My winters aren't real cold.I get cold spells,but can still be upper 60s for highs,just cold at night a few hours lowest we dip is 20 but more common is just below freezeing.lowest this year is 28.zone 8b coastal

#33420 December 21st, 2005 at 02:03 AM
They're pretty bulletproof. If it's got green 'leaves' and it ain't dead, it's growin'. Slowly maybe but growin' all the same. I never really looked to see if the roots were developing during winter. Never even thought about it. I just poke 'em in the soil and one day a few years later they have some fruit on them.

#33421 December 21st, 2005 at 11:25 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Now that's my kind of plant lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard