This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32694 June 29th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all! I'm having a problem with some of the sunflowers that I planted. I planted some dwarfs in the garden, and they are fine; I planted some mammoths in front of the garden, and they're doing OK. But the mammoths that I have planted along the fence are being eaten alive! Some of them don't have any more leaves left-just veins! I don't see anything on these plants (we're talking about 20 plants)-what could be causing this and what can I do to stop it? Thanks in advance!

#32695 June 29th, 2005 at 12:01 PM
F
F
Are the japanese beetles active there right now?
I had to sprinkle sevin dust on my plants the other day- they were eating everything in sight!

If plants in my garden were being eaten, but no bugs were ever present,my immediate suspicion would lean toward snails or slugs. They do their damage after dark. Cut worms also work after dark as well.
Ortho markets effective bait to kill slugs and snails, and sevin dust, 5%, kills over 60 insect pests.

#32696 June 29th, 2005 at 06:48 PM
HI ROZY it could be the japanese beetles there very active here there into evrything i have been useing sevin dust also.but the rabbits are eating my sun flowers in my garden.leaveing nothing but the stalks.if its slugs you can also set out sausers of beer for them it will kill them.your friend in gardening.mike57

#32697 June 30th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmmmm....Beetles could be the problem. The ones that I have planted near the garden are starting to show some signs as well. What I'm not understanding is why the other plants nearby (pumpkins, tomatoes, peas, corn, beans, dwarf sunflowers) are not showing any damage-only the mammoth sunflowers. Are beetles selective? I'm starting to get scared here as I see the damage that's happening, plus I'm trying to go organic-what is sevin dust exactly? Thanks for the help!

#32698 July 1st, 2005 at 09:00 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK-I went investigating today, and I found LOTS of ants on the damaged plants, and some ants on the good plants, which are now starting to get some holes in the leaves. Could the ants be doing this? Or are the ants there because of some other problem? All I can say is YUCK!

#32699 July 1st, 2005 at 11:10 PM
HI ROZY sevin dust is probubly the safest chimical there is to use on pest it can be used on your pets and in your veggie garden to.you might have leaf cutter ants and yes they will eat the leafs off your plants heres a link about them.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/leafcutter.htm
but i think the sevin dust will take care of them.heres a link on sevin dust
http://www.epinions.com/content_54760279684
hope it helps.your friend in gardening.mike57

#32700 July 2nd, 2005 at 03:45 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow Mike! Those ants could definately be it! The only thing that throws me is that I'm nowhere near Texas. But anything's possible. I'm off to the grocery store now, where, hopefully, they will have some sevin dust. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help!

#32701 July 2nd, 2005 at 04:33 AM
HI rozy your very welcome.we have the leaf cutter ants here in alabama also i think they are pretty much all over the south. hope the sevin dust stops what ever is eating your leafs.i did some more reserch it could also be cutter bees.or the japanese beetles eather way the sevin dust should take care of it.good luck with it.your friend in gardening.mike57

Link Copied to Clipboard