This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32641 May 10th, 2005 at 03:39 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello members! I must say Im soo glad I found this site!!I cant wait to start meeting all of you.

Now for my question.. The soil in most of my plants are very very wet.. I found this when I was transpanting some of them.. I don't think its gone as far as root rot.. but would like to stop it before , if its going to happen. What should I do? Just not water for a while?

#32642 May 10th, 2005 at 03:45 PM
wavey tulip,
there are a few things you could do. you could start a watering schedule and do most of your watering once a week,if you have plants that need to be watered more then you can water them and not the others. you could also scoop out some of the real moist soil and replace it with new dry soil and then water once ALL the soil is dry.
just out of curiosity how often DO you water your plants?? hope this is helpful wink

#32643 May 10th, 2005 at 03:50 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I normally water a little every day or when the soil is dry..lately I have cut down watering to once a week because of my discovery.. I have a fe basic plants.. such as aloe veras and a spider plant and a few that I have no idea what they are.. so Im not to sure about the watering they need.

Thank- you for your suggestions!

#32644 May 10th, 2005 at 03:57 PM
wow a little water everyday huh?? do you live in a very dry area? your spider plant would probably like to be a little on the dry side most of the time. i water my 3 once every 8-10 days. my aloe once a week or less depending on how warm and dry the house gets. you should post some pictures of your "mystery plants" so you then would know what you have and how to care for them thumbup

#32645 May 10th, 2005 at 06:56 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Tulip,

Stick your finger down to almost the second nuckle and if the aloe is dry all the way down then give it a good dollup of water. Otherwise not. They are a sucellent(sp) and hold water. So you want to dry them out between waterings. Also they go dormant from time to time and need almost no water. If you can't post pictures here tell us what the other plants look like. With standard house plants it's suprising how fast the experts can identify a plant.

I was discussing a bush that is down in one of the containers and in the snap of your fingers two people came up the plants name (it was barberry).

Link Copied to Clipboard