This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32476 June 7th, 2005 at 07:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi all! Wasn't sure where I should put this thread, but I'm wondering if my lily has spider mites or something? It's fuzzy on top - and I don't see any blooms in there. I'm not sure if this is 'normal' or some kinda pest I should be getting rid of. If it's a pest, organic removal suggestions appreciated!

(Thumbnail is clickable)
[Linked Image]

Sorry my picture is just as fuzzy as the fuzz!

Mary

#32477 June 8th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
OP Offline
Okay, here's more pics of my fuzzy lilies. I did see some bugs (I think they're spiders) on the underside of one of the upper leaves. Now what? Are they ok to be there, or is it time to evict?
Spiders: [Linked Image]

fuzzy stuff/web: [Linked Image]

Hellllllllllllp!
Mary

#32478 June 9th, 2005 at 12:00 PM
Hi Mary. The plant looks healthy. It's probably a spider. They have eight legs whereas insects have six. Have a close look. If it's a spider, it may be eating its own web each morning and spinning it again at night. Orb weavers do this. Go out at night with a flashlight for a look. It's great to watch them spinning away.

#32479 June 9th, 2005 at 04:02 PM
OP Offline
Hey Longy!

I'm pretty sure it's a spider from it's shape, but I couldn't get close enough really. I didn't think of the leg thing...thanks, I'll check again. I was just worried that their presence would hurt the precious blooms...or lack thereof - since I dont see anything at all that looks like it'll bloom. Guess I should just settle down and find my patience laugh

I think the roses are getting to me or something, I'm getting pest-delirious. We've had (what I think were) aphids, spider mites and (definitely) black spot on the roses so far this year.

Mary

#32480 June 9th, 2005 at 11:44 PM
OP Offline
Just wanted to post a followup. I went out this morning to check on the lily and guests. Looks like a spider has found a home there, and is guarding his dinner. Looks like the webs either washed off with the rain, or were eaten like you said, Longy...I cant' believe how tall this lily is. I stood next to it, and it's almost up to my...heart wink I'm 5'7", so I'm guessing it's almost 5' (I dont have a giraffe neck, no matter what they've told you all about me)

LOL Okay, a little punchy. I'll end here wink

Mary

Link Copied to Clipboard