This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32413 August 10th, 2005 at 01:31 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I was in walmart last week.seen this awesome variegated hydrangea.all the tag said was peegee.I've been surfing here for over an hour looking up info.I'm not getting much on pictures to show.I did run into an image on bluestone thats "mariessi"That could possibly be what I seen.It was in a 3 gallon pot and about 30 inches tall and full of blooms and was $17.89.I've made my SIL aware that shes routeing him to walmart the 20th and doing her best to have him purchase a pair& to convinvce him i'm worth it.

If someone knows a latin name for it...maybe i'll have better luck their.please shout it out!

and....does anyone grow any variegated HYDRANGEAS?

#32414 August 10th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Howdy njoynit wink The latin name for the pee gee is Hydrangea paniculata. Not sure about the cultivar that's variegated though - sorry Duh What colors was it and what info do ya need? just a pic or how to care for it or...?

#32415 August 10th, 2005 at 01:52 AM
I didn't think it was a peegee. I've had one for 3 years. Bought it at a nursery, about a foot and a half tall for $12, said mariessi on the tag. Never has bloomed. frown It is in morning filtered sun. It wilts in the heat no matter how wet the ground is. Poor thing. Hope you have better luck with it.

#32416 August 12th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I wasn't sure it was a peegee.its what the tag says....and tags DO lie sometimes.

It resembles mariessi,but could be variety variegata<might be off a few letters>.The mariessi needs morning sun afternoon shade.I kinda left off searching on this.but have plans of going back to snap a picture of it in walmart.....& I still want a pair of them.

The white variegation on the leaves stands out.I've seen some pics of some white with cream variegation while searching.I was digging today& wandering in the woods(nice ferns...grabbed a few JIP& the seeds that were red)I did read that can still change the blooms color like the others.

#32417 August 12th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
Originally posted by njoynit:
[QB] and tags DO lie sometimes.
Especially at walmart! I ended up with different colored rose bushes than I planned on because I had to rely on the tag.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, though...post a pic if you get one!

#32418 August 16th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been back($$less too).
Its Mariessi.They have 1 gallon pots and the 3 gallon pots.They've moved the large ones to full sun outside the gate onto sidewalk and look about cooked and blossomless now.so took no picture.They have 3 tags on the pots.is the plastic card with peegee hydrangea hanging on pot.(the one I seen that day)and is a poke down one with proper name&grow info& picture and is from bluestone.and is a sticker for scanning with Mariessi HYD.
The 1 gallons ar $5.95 online with /bluestone.I'll order 2 online.They don't ship 3 gallon ones,but they said the 1 gallons are shipped bareroot.I figure they should look better than walmarts.I should have bought day I seen them,they looked TONS better.

Link Copied to Clipboard