This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I planted my raspberry canes as directed and after much research on the net. I am convinced it did it right...planted them in early spring, now it's June and all I see is the same stubby 4" cane (one per plant) peeking up at me from it's happy well watered, well manured little home. I am guessing some new plant activity is present but I cannot identify it, all I see is what most likely is weeds and grass starting up in the cozy homes I created for these canes...I don't expect anything to really happen until next summer but would LIKE to know if there's a runner or two, a leaf or two, SOMETHING to show some activity...how do I see this? Can anyone describe or show me a pic of the kind of growth that should be happening? And by the way, I planted them with the cane standing upright and only one of them touching down to the soil...was this a mistake??? I planted 5 of them, 3-5 feet apart. Can I let the grass grow around them knowing they will make themselves apparent sometime in the future?

I don't know the answer to your question, Missy, but someone will be along shortly who does I am sure. I just want to say "hello" and "welcome to the friendliest gardening board on the net"! I hope you have as much fun here as I do!

Dianna

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Missydog_lala,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We're very glad you found us!!!

And an extra special Welcome to a fellow
New Yorker!!! YAY!!! Glad to have you on board!!

By any chance do you have a picture of your
plant(s)?

And outta curiousity, where did you get them from??

LMT Offline
I started my raspberries last year and they were timid at first. I bought everbearing and they didn't really kick till full blown summer, providing a meager fall crop.

This year, year two, they are cranking!

No grass!

Same issue with my raspberry. I just bought one bush, everbearing, and I think I got it at Lowes. (Don't yell!) I planted it, watered it 2x week kept the grass down around it. I think I made 2 mistakes. One being, I let the first 'berry' ripen, instead of cutting it off. I think I shoulda cut it off so it could work on the vine growth instead of the fruit growth. 2nd, I surrounded it with some extra bricks I had laying around...and I'm wondering if I smothered any suckers because of it Duh

Here's what it looked like before I realized I shouldn't have let the berry grow - sometime around the 1st week in June.
[Linked Image]

Still haven't really figured out how to prune it. Everything I read explains what to do with a full grown plant. This is so not full grown, that I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with it Duh I'll have to get a more recent picture...I think we're down to less leaves now than pre-berry ters

LMT Offline
My root stock didn't produce berries until the fall (on the primocanes as advertised). You shouldn't have flowers or berries. Allowing them to grow will slow the development of the plant (I'd guess).

Yeah, I found that out after the berry grew, we picked it and ate it. <sigh> Not sure were to go from here.

LMT Offline
The plant will show the way, seriously.

Do they have thorns?

I hope so, LMT. It's got no thorns, that I could see. I'll look closer tomorrow, but I really don't think so. It looks like a stick (seriously) with one small (3"?) branch coming off it, with some leaves. The main stalk has nothing growing from it, and no other branches but that one frown It's wood, not green. The branch is green, I think. The leaves are also green (at least).

I noticed this afternoon there was a huge spiderweb around the bottom of it. No idea if that's good, bad, or indifferent. I left it there though. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Okay. I checked - closely. I felt my raspberry up this morning LOL no thorns, anywhere. Not on the main cane or the leafy shoot. LMT send instructions for your raspberry dance please?

LMT Offline
To Missy and Mary,

I posted last night but got a closed for maintainance message, so you get the cliff notes.

Missy -- If those plants (root stock) have been in the ground for more than six weeks and no plants have sprouted primocanes then you should, carefully, pull a little soil away from the stem. I think you might have them planted too deep. If you see a bit of green, push the soil back and grin.

Mary -- Now that the cane has fruited (rare), cut it back to a 3-4 inch stem so it will develop primocanes.

LMT Offline
Originally posted by MaryReboakly:
Okay. I checked - closely. I felt my raspberry up this morning LOL no thorns, anywhere. Not on the main cane or the leafy shoot. LMT send instructions for your raspberry dance please?
It's not unusual not to have thorns on such a small stick. The darn thing never should have grown a branch!

Oh, got bills? LOL!

It hasn't grown a peep in about a month. After I realized we shouldn't have let it fruit, we cut off that whole stem, back to the main cane. May be I shouldn'ta cut it so far back. grumble.

Fresh outta bills though, sorry! LOL! p

LMT Offline
Originally posted by LMT:
To Missy and Mary,

I posted last night but got a closed for maintainance message, so you get the cliff notes.

Missy -- If those plants (root stock) have been in the ground for more than six weeks and no plants have sprouted primocanes then you should, carefully, pull a little soil away from the stem. I think you might have them planted too deep. If you see a bit of green, push the soil back and grin.

Mary -- Now that the cane has fruited (rare), cut it back to a 3-4 inch stem so it will develop primocanes.
I do need to expand on this. I planted 6 plants/bare root stock last year. One was DOA. One only managed two whimpy primocanes. Two rocked and produced fruit.

What grows this year (primocanes) will produce this fall's and next summer's crop (when they are floricanes).

Like most weblinks, this will be helpful next year.

LMT Offline
It hasn't grown a peep in about a month. After I realized we shouldn't have let it fruit, we cut off that whole stem, back to the main cane. May be I shouldn'ta cut it so far back. grumble.

Fresh outta bills though, sorry! LOL! p
Part of the reason they leave a couple inches when they trim back is to know where it is. You could be just fine.

I hope so! Where did you get your raspberries, if you don't mind my asking? I'm afraid I shouldn't be shopping for these things at a big box store, which I did (Lowes). I can chalk it up to being their 'fault' if it doesnt grow LOL! At least though, it doesn't seem to be dying. I did pinch off some leaves at the tip of that one tiny branch, because they looked dried up. That could be a sign of things to come, I suppose. I have to admit, I started to neglect it a bit (not enough water for awhile) because it wasn't in plain site and I forgot about it. Bad, bad me.

LMT Offline
I bought from Stark Bro's in Missouri who resold from some grower in Oregon.

Thanks - next time around I'll definitely buy from a nursery instead! --grumble--

Cross your fingers for me that this one comes up. I haven't given up hope yet.

LMT Offline
Thanks - next time around I'll definitely buy from a nursery instead! --grumble--

Cross your fingers for me that this one comes up. I haven't given up hope yet.
We know it's alive. Believe it or not, since it's a red, you can turn one plant into a field. Nearly without skill.

While no one c/would answer my question, I found my answers.

wink Thanks LMT...I have next to no skills, so that's comforting to hear. I'll keep ya posted.

LMT Offline
wink Thanks LMT...I have next to no skills, so that's comforting to hear. I'll keep ya posted.
You have skills. You just haven't learned to appreciate them.

You're good for my ego wink Thanks!

LMT Offline
You're good for my ego wink Thanks!
What did you know six months ago, what do you know now?

You worked for all of it.

That's very true. Its amazing how much I've learned over the past couple of months. Who woulda thunk this NYC girl would be composting and seeking out manure for gardening a year ago? Not me! Pretty cool when I think about it wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard