This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32277 July 14th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
A
atreus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I just found out that the Aconitums in my garden are not the standard napellus jobbers, they are the original A. Anglicum plant. Which is now so rare in the UK.

Really, really happy smile

#32278 July 14th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
Hi Atreus! i don't think we've met - welcome to the forum! wink I tried loooking up your A. Anglicum, but couldn't find it exactly. I'm assuming it's a variety of sedum - but I don't know which. I checked out your website - nicely done! Couldn't see it there either though. Oh, and I love the webcam links - I wouldn't DARE put one up here laugh

#32279 July 15th, 2005 at 02:17 AM
A
atreus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi Mary

No, it's not a Sedum.
Its full name is Aconitum Napellus, and it is the Anglicum cultivar. If you enter that into a google search you will find it.

It's really very rare now in UK.

Many cultivars exist as garden planting, but the delphinium group is much more popular now. So people rarely bother with Aconites believing them too poisonous. The funny thing is that Delphiniums apparently are far more poisonous.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Delphsp.htm
For A. Nappellus:
http://www.floralimages.co.uk/paconinapel.htm

They are all members of the buttercup family smile

#32280 July 15th, 2005 at 08:38 AM
Wow those are NICE! Never saw them before...very cool - congrats for having them in your garden - I take it you didn't put them there. Were they volunteers that just popped up or are you new to that house?

#32281 July 16th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
A
atreus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
No, they are a colony that was planted by the old lady that lived in this house before me, that was about thirty years ago. It's a fairly old colony smile

They are really beautiful, but tend to get very leggy, fall over in the rain, get untidy toward their end, and are very poisonous.

Look up wolfsbane on google. Way poisonous.

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard