This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#32234 May 7th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
My mom keeps asking what I'm going to do with the ones I bought, and if I'm REALLY going to use them?!?
I use a lot of fresh/dreid herbs in my cooking...makes all the difference in the world!
I also use them for garnishing. A mint sprig is really pretty on the top of a cheesecake, in a pitcher/glass of tea etc...

"Lunne"???
I started to go back and correct that...but thought it was pretty funny so I just left it! laugh

This really is soooooo much fun! Wanna trade our different mints once we get them all going?
I'm in! Will trade anything!

She said to pinch the tips of the tops off and it will spread out instead of growing taller at first.
That's what I do...and it works!

Happy Mother's day to you all as well! I will be PLANTING! flw

#32235 May 8th, 2005 at 04:57 AM
Lynne-
I have apple mint, spearmint, blue balsam, pineapple, variegated pineapple, blackberry and lemon balm. I had chocolate and it died. Apple has big leaves compared to the others. I have loads of variegated pineapple, spearmint and lemon balm right now. Sure trading sounds good. I will start some of the others this week.

Vanessa-
Have you tried lemon balm? It is awesome in iced tea. I have also used sugered mint sprigs to garnish a chocolate cake.

I don't think you can beat the flavor of fresh mint, oregano, dill or savory.

Donna flw

#32236 May 8th, 2005 at 05:35 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I don't think you can beat the flavor of fresh mint, oregano, dill or savory.
Or fennel or basil or, my favorite, rosemary! Just couldn't live with out her!

I have never grown the lemon balm...I have lemon basil and lemon thyme (that is outta this world yummy)

This may sound like a stupid question...but what about wintergreen? Is it in the "mint" family? I love anything winter greeny....but where does it come from and can I grow it???????

#32237 May 8th, 2005 at 06:16 AM
Or fennel or basil or, my favorite, rosemary! Just couldn't live with out her!
Oh! I agree. I also enjoy lovage. I find the flavor in soup to be better then celery. grinnnn

This may sound like a stupid question...
There is no such thing!

True wintergreen( Gaultheria procumbens) is a different plant. Here it is called mountain teaberry. Although there is wintergreen flavored mint.

Donna flw

#32238 May 8th, 2005 at 05:28 PM
OP Offline
G'morning and Happy Mother's Day!

Donna - this week I picked up some of the variegated pineapple and apple mints, so I won't be needing any of those in a trade - but thanks sooooo much anyway! kissies I also got some lemon balsam in a plant swap last week - no one would go near it because it's sooooo invasive, so I grabbed it - I'll confine it to a pot! thumbup

A question about rooting the mints - yesterday I took some cuttings of the chocolate mint for TK, wrapped the stems in a damp paper towel, and put the wrapped end in a zip-lock baggie, but this morning they are very limp and the edges of the leaves are crispy. ters How do you root your mints? Must I do it in soil?

We're not much for most other herbs like the rosemary, et al... so I don't bother with planting any of those. But... mint is to die for! laugh

Have a great gardening day - it's pretty nasty here today - AGAIN!!! - but I will still plant the large pot on my mom's front porch for her gift. Her rock garden will have to wait for better weather...

#32239 May 8th, 2005 at 07:35 PM
Lynne-
It sounds like you are racking up on the mints! grinnnn

I also got some lemon balsam in a plant swap last week - no one would go near it because it's sooooo invasive, so I grabbed it - I'll confine it to a pot! [thumb]
Confining lemon balm to a pot won't help. It reseeds. The plants get rather big too. It will be everywheres. I love it though. What a smell. smile

A question about rooting the mints
What I usually do is pull a sprig up from the ground (with a root or 2) and put it in water. They will grow roots in a matter of days. A lot of people grow mints in bogs and water features.

TK-
PM me. I can send you some plants.

Donna flw

#32240 May 8th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
OP Offline
Donna ~

Confining lemon balm to a pot won't help. It reseeds. The plants get rather big too. It will be everywheres. I love it though. What a smell.
What if I pinch back the lemon balm when the flowers first start? Think it would stay in check in a pot then?

#32241 May 8th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
I've never tried pinching them back but you could try. I don't have a picture of how big they get or I would post it. I bought 2 plants 4/5 years ago and they easily get 3 feet in diameter. I hate to admit this but when they reseed I usually dig the babies back into the ground or compost them. I think every seed germinates! mad

Donna flw

#32242 May 8th, 2005 at 09:17 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I think every seed germinates!
Hhmm..interesting...I have had SOOO much trouble with my grass this year (mega weeds)maybe I will just let the lemon balm take over...wouldn't that smeel good when you mow!!!! thumbup

#32243 May 9th, 2005 at 01:45 AM
Vanessa-
You just might be able to use it as a lawn. smile

Donna flw

#32244 May 9th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
man, I need to! I know NOTHING about grass except how to mow it!UGH! Last year we developed a rather large brown spot over by the driveway...so, hubby asked me (first mistake)what was wrong. Well, I just kind of chalked it up to...something got poured out there..ant farm...etc. WELL, NOW I KNOW what it is...weeds!!! And now I think it is to late..they are everywhere! And they are growing under the St. Augustine grass so they are very hard to get to....about 4 or 5 varieties the best I can tell shk So now I have HUGE brown dead spots all over the lawn! eek Thinking the lemon balm might be the way to go! laugh

#32245 May 9th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
Vanessa-
Do you have any lemon balm? I can send you some if you don't. PM me.

Donna flw

#32246 May 9th, 2005 at 01:34 PM
OP Offline
Ooooooh Vanessa... I think lemon balm in your grass would smell soooooo yummy! I hate when my husband mows the lawn here and it stinks from all the onion grass that pops up EVERYWHERE! :p mad frown

Love the clean fresh smell of mowed grass, but not the onion grass -
PPPPPPPP UUUUUUUU!

#32247 May 9th, 2005 at 05:04 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I was kind of kidding...but now am thinking really serious about...do you think it would look funny?

#32248 May 9th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I just found out that my daughter-in-law found some Mexican mint and planted it....can't wait to smell that!

#32249 May 10th, 2005 at 09:20 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I got my wheel barrow today! An oldie...got it painted and am going to put some petunias in it for now...don't know when I will be able to get my mint...but it will be ready for it when I do!

#32250 May 15th, 2005 at 03:15 AM
G
G
You guys are killing me with all the yummy mints!

Last year I planted spearmint and it died. I planted it near a water spigot outside, same type area my mom always planted it when I was a kid. The ocassional drip from the spigot always made hers insanely happy....no such luck for me.

This year, however, I have planted chocolate mint (it indeed smells heavenly although I haven't eaten any yet because I haven't a clue what to do with it), variagated pineapple mint and a regular mint.

I am dying now that I know there is a blackberry mint. Macaroni Grill restaurant offers a blackberry mint tea that I adore and if I could find a blackberry mint plant I could easily make my own! (Mint teas are about the only thing I ever use mint for actually.)

#32251 May 15th, 2005 at 09:43 PM
G
G
I believe I have found the only online store that carries blackberry mint! Shipping is cheap too...$1.10 to ship two plants!

https://ecommerce.lcs.net/stores/gardenbuddies/

#32252 May 16th, 2005 at 08:59 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Thanks for the site giraff! Is your mint gettng enough sun? I moved my peppermint & spearmint last year to a spot that was not as sunny as what they were in...and it is not doing as well...they love water but have to have that sunshine as well!

#32253 May 17th, 2005 at 12:20 AM
G
G
I believe that was probably the problem...last year I planted on the shady side of the house...this year they are all in containers and are in the sun a good bit of time (although, I have moved them a bit so they don't get scorched.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard