This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32131 June 20th, 2005 at 04:01 AM
OP Offline
I know it's been a while since my last post. I'm sorry. I've been busy lately. With summer just around the corner, my kids birthdays and graduation parties.... it's been crazy! I do have a question... I was wondering if anyone knew how to keep roses from crossbreeding. I think it's too late now though. I have 4 rose plants shocked one red,an orange, white and yellow.
My red and yellow have crossbread. :p I didnt really want that to happen but it has. (oh well)

Could someone please let me know how to prevent this in the future.... I will be getting a new rose on mothers day next year flw and dont want it to cross breed.

Thanks for the help. smile

#32132 June 20th, 2005 at 09:43 AM
Hi ladybug! Sorry I don't know how to answer your question about keeping them from crossbreeding...I didn't know that happened either, hmmm so the color scheme I picked out probably isn't going to last eh? LOL! I hope someone comes along soon that can answer your question! wink

#32133 June 21st, 2005 at 08:05 AM
OP Offline
hi mary, well, if you planted them close together they probably wont stay one color. I was looking at my white roses today and they look like they have a pink tint to them. I dont know that they are actually cross breeding, My yellow roses have an orange fringe on the out side pettals. angell take care

#32134 June 21st, 2005 at 08:39 AM
LMT Offline
Since roses are the subject.

I take care of my neighbors yard and "saved" (didn't mow down) what was clearly a rose. She didn't know it was there but the flower looks like red velvet. The other one is powder pink and very small.

What I'm wondering is, how do I clone a rose?

#32135 June 21st, 2005 at 08:54 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I have the cutting info if you want it but the article is huge. Do you want me to pm you with it?

#32136 June 21st, 2005 at 09:25 AM
you can clone a rose? I have one out front that is simply beautiful! I would love to have more of them. Would you mind to send me that information as well! See how much work it would be! my neighbor loves it too maybe I could get her one going!

#32137 June 21st, 2005 at 09:57 AM
LMT Offline
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I have the cutting info if you want it but the article is huge. Do you want me to pm you with it?
Any way you want to send it.

#32138 June 21st, 2005 at 08:01 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I've pm'ed the information to both of you and I hope it helps you get the roses you want. I haven't tried it yet but someday lol.

#32139 June 21st, 2005 at 08:18 PM
OP Offline
If you have any info that will help me from cross breeding any more roses please let me know. I was looking at my whie rose bush and they have a pink tint to them now. cool I dont mind the pink, it's just that the plain white was so pretty. wink tnx for any help

#32140 June 21st, 2005 at 08:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I've been reading up on roses to try and answer your question. But the answer doesn't seem to exist. At least not for this beginner. Cross breeding applies to the seeds the parent plant produces. It doesn't affect the color of the parent plant. At least that seems to be what I am seeing in my research. I've always noticed that the outside back of the petal of roses was usually a different color that the actual rose. I have no idea why that is. But I will continue looking for an answer. Sorry I'm not able to give you more information.

#32141 June 21st, 2005 at 09:03 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ah hah!!!!

They are called guard petals and it is not at all unusual for them to be a different color. They are the outer most layer of petals and protect the rest of the petals. Some florist remove them when using roses in cut flower arrangements but this shortens the life of the flower and also can damage the overall shape of the flower.

Hope that helps.

#32142 June 21st, 2005 at 09:06 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you want to breed "true" roses cutting is probably a surer method but you can also collect the pollen before the bud has fully opened and hand pollenate as soon as the next bloom opens then collect the seeds when the bloom has died. Hope this helped.

#32143 June 22nd, 2005 at 07:06 AM
OP Offline
well it has helped somewhat. Last year my roses never took on any kind of tint at all they all stayed the same color, now this year my yellow rose has this redish orange tint on the outter and inner pettals, and my white rose isnt white now. I dont know what color the white rose will turn out to be, my luck it will be pink from now on....lol Oh well flw thanks for the info.

#32144 June 22nd, 2005 at 07:41 AM
LMT Offline
That's quiet an involved process. I don't think I'll be trying it this year but it just begs to be conquered. Thanks for the info hoops!

#32145 June 22nd, 2005 at 08:59 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
LMT, It sure is. I gave me lots of pause for thought.

Lady I wonder if the color change could have something to do with graphing. Do you know if your roses had this done to them? That's where a more delicate rose is graphed on to a hardier root stock rose plant. It's done a lot with rose trees from what I've read. But I haven't studied it in depth. That might be something to investigate on the net. It's just a thought.

#32146 June 23rd, 2005 at 07:19 AM
OP Offline
I dont know if they have been graphed or not the only thing I know for sure that was done to them was the root ball loosened so the roots could grow beyond the pot they came in. When it was time to prune them for spring I did. that is the only thing that has been done to my roses. Just my luck that they are changing color....lol shocked

Link Copied to Clipboard