This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32095 July 20th, 2005 at 10:02 AM
OP Offline
hi,

got a funny question:

next time i do my garden,is it better do put burlap or what should i put under my soil to prevent weeds,i m not sure if you get my drift,i m not good at being precise sometimes.

thank you!

#32096 July 20th, 2005 at 12:27 PM
Hey Franny wink

You don't want to put plastic under your soil if it's in your flower beds - it keeps light, air and water out and that's not good for your flowers wink I never thought about using burlap idea but that sounds like a good option since it will let the water and air through. They sell 'landscape fabric' made just for flower beds that you can use too wink

Is composting an option for you? You could put down cardboard and then build a lasagna bed to smother the grass/weeds and have a great bed next spring wink Then just cover with mulch, or even use compost to dress your beds. It will keep your soil crumbly and easy to pull any weeds that sneak in.

Hope that helps!

#32097 July 20th, 2005 at 08:25 PM
R
R
A cheap, easy fix (because black fabric is FAR from cheap) is to use newspaper. NO colored inks. Only black & white. It is bio-degradable & can be tilled into the soil each year.

Wet the soil & wet the paper (or the wind will take it). If for one season, use 3-5 sheets thick. If for a long-term bed, use 15-20 thick. Of course, this method requires a layer of mulch.

Burlap & plastic could be secured w/ sod staples. But, look better w/ a layer of mulch.

#32098 July 21st, 2005 at 07:53 AM
I have encountered all three and like newspaper best thumbup . The plastic is a reminder of the lack of knowledge the previous homeowner had and water can't penetrate eek . I like the landscaper fabric but it can be tough to cut through at a later date. The newspaper is equal in penetration strength for weed control to the fabric and it breaks down rapidly so digging is a breeze thumbup .
Good Luck!

#32099 July 21st, 2005 at 09:22 AM
OP Offline
wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard