This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31930 May 10th, 2005 at 04:49 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, I have the worst neighbors and need to try to hide their yard from my view! ;(

Anyone have any inexpensive trellis ideas and fast growing plants/vines for screening?????

Thank you!!!

E
E
I don't have any trellis ideas but I have the same problem that you do. I am going to plant lilacs along the right side fence----I am done with it. They may not be fast growing but they will be permanent. So goes my plans for doing the herb garden there....sigh. but the good side is my yard will have a wonderful scent to it every year!
wink

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Tall dowels/posts and string/wire makes a trellis of sorts. And covered in morning glories it would be pretty. But they die back every year. Or maybe one of the ivy's but that can be invasive so you have to watch it carefully. By the same token if they don't keep up their yard it would cover their yard after a while. With the ivy I would go for the heavier support. The morning glories aren't nearly as heavy.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you have alot of room you could dig out and pond and pile all the dirt into a berm and then plant pampas grass on it. But it would take a while to screen, but it sure is pretty to me. Plus you get the added benefit of having a pond.

Maybe for a quick fix you can install some lattice
and grow a clematis on that, it would be beautiful. And clematis come back every year
and grow like mad smile

S
S
Confederate jasmine will cover a trellis (or anything in it's path) with thick vines that bloom profusely in the spring with incredibly sweet-scented tiny flowers. The leaves are evergreen, too, providing year 'round screening.

F
F
I am currently doing the same exact thing.
Under my carport area. I use 4x4 8ft tall fence post. 2ft in the groun 6ft tall out of ground. set post with concrete. bought 4x8' sheets lattice/trellis and im currently filling in the bottom 2 feet with more to wall it off.

I will be growing creeping or climbing fig to create what I will call a "wall of green" hehe

small heartshapped evergreen fast growing vine (can be invansive) but should overcome the wall nicely. its a tight fine that not limby or straggly.

heres are some pics:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/fritoxtreme/im001804.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/fritoxtreme/climbingfig2.jpg

R
R
I really like my door.

http://groups.msn.com/IrvingtonGardenClub/2003gardentour.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=5

You could use old screen doors, louver doors, etc.

When you walk up and look through the window of my door you get a small glimpse of my secret garden.

Link Copied to Clipboard