This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31908 July 20th, 2005 at 12:24 AM
T
traz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Greetings, all! My nextdoor neighbor's wondering what's causing her potted morning glories' foliage (western exposure)to turn yellow, starting just above the soil and working upward, leaf by leaf. It's been very hot and dry here in OK City. It hasn't rained in over a week. She gives them lots of water.

#31909 July 23rd, 2005 at 07:13 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
HowDEE wavey Traz,
I have the same thing..

Not 100% sure, but usually when it's HOT
and humid mine do that..

Could be shock, or difference in growing conditions ie; too much of some circumstances... and that shocks them...

Can you tell us a bit more on how they are planted, ie; kind of soil, kind of container,
watering practices, types of fertilizers used, if any????

#31910 July 23rd, 2005 at 10:45 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way!!!!
And hope you get lot's of good cake!!!

#31911 July 29th, 2005 at 12:25 AM
T
traz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi, Weezie,

Thanks for the wishes. She's got them in terra cotta pots, spiraling up strings that are tied to her 2nd-story porch ceiling. I believe she uses Miracle Grow potting soil, but I'm not sure if it's used to supplement the poor, sandy-clay soil found around here or if it's used exclusively. I'll try to find out. Thanks again.

#31912 July 29th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
T
traz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh yeah!

She uses a watering can to sprinkle her morning glories at their bases, pretty much avoiding foliage, every morning, early morning. She says she always tries to let tap water sit for 24 hours to reduce chlorine and other additives before using it on her plants.

#31913 July 29th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Watering sounds good...
She says she always tries to let tap water sit for 24 hours to reduce chlorine and other additives before using it on her plants.
Good ole rain water saved in buckets
works great too!!! thumbup

Miracle Grow really isn't needed for those
types.. they are happy in regular soil....

Sometimes there's too much lovin' for plants.

and they don't need alot of attention..

Heck a seed can over winter out doors, and
sprout in the spring and grow all on it's own
with out any help... in some case's...

I had some by my house that re~seeded themselves all the time...planted them once...
**I've let something taller grow into there now,
and I haven't seen any babies this year..
but, they didn't have a chance with what I have
in there now...

#31914 July 29th, 2005 at 11:17 PM
T
traz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Mornin'!

This same neighbor insisted upon giving me several m. glory transplants by my bedroom window, in regular poor soil. The heat turned a few of my leaves yellow, but mostly the m. glories are healthy and ready to sprawl over the entire continent. Right now there's a pretty reddish-purple bloom on one of my vines.

Hers, although they bloomed modestly right before our big heat wave, are now barren-looking. This backs up what you said about fancy soil for a plant that doesn't require it. I'll be sure to tell her what I've learnt. I'm grateful for your help, Weezie.

#31915 July 30th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Morning glories do not really require too much fertilization, as a matter of fact they are very easily over fertilized. That would not turn the leaves yellow however. Heat can and will do that. The problem is that by giving this particular plant too much Nitrogen it could stop it from flowering, so I would refrain from using a normal fert. Instead I would try giving it some chelated iron, this should green it back up nicely.

In the future mix some good top soil in the area, to compensate for the poor soil if she wants to continue growing morning glories in the area. This should have more then enough nutrients mixed in.

Link Copied to Clipboard