This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31869 May 16th, 2005 at 07:47 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I used to have a clay type soil in my garden. We brought in some new top soil, during the last couple of years to loosen it up, now I'm finding it is too sandy or sifty, as it dries out quickly. At the time of buying it looked good. It was supposed to be part/top soil/ humus and sand. It had a rich black color, but when it dried it didn't look too rich. Now, I would like to know what to buy to dense it up some, or do they even sell what I'm looking for. Any suggestions. Thanks.

#31870 May 16th, 2005 at 10:24 AM
You need some organic matter in the soil Daisy. Use compost preferably. Otherwise you can dig in manures such as sheep, cow or horse or any other grazing animal. Also using mulch will help as it will contribute as it breaks down. Some manures can be a little acidic so a dose of dolomite too may be required. Don't use green manures. Let them rot for a while. Organic matter needs to be continually replenished to ensure a regular supply of humus for the plants.

Link Copied to Clipboard