This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31758 June 16th, 2005 at 02:25 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I've probably already asked about this, but I don't know where the post is.

I got a pot of this plant about 10 days ago - I looked it up on the web and all accounts are saying it will only bloom in cool weather.

It seems ok in the pot. I don't know if I can get my picture up. The servers are slow right now - guess it's 'cause of a lot of places are off hydro from the storms that are around.

Anyway, what I need to know is this - should I put them in the ground? Should I leave them all in the pot - split them up?

#31759 June 17th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
At my old house I had a beautiful Martha Washington that would bloom all winter profusely then slow down when the heat of summer came. Our min. temp in the winter is 30*F or so, and that's only for 1 or 2 nights at the most. What zone are you in? I would plant it in the ground if you can. How many plants are in the pot, or do you mean you could split it?

#31760 June 17th, 2005 at 09:45 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, there were about 8 plants in it, it turned out. I took them apart today - I put some in a planter by my table garden. Along with an amaryllis I'm just using for looks until it's ready to be potted in September so it will bloom for me.

And I put some out in a corner of the North Lot (that I renovated yesterday).

Pictures later. I'll probably post it on my garden journal in Gardeners Chat tomorrow sometime.

Thanks - that's what I figured. Put them in the ground now and let them bloom in the fall then I'll bring them in for the office window.

#31761 June 19th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I forgot to tell you the zone - we're 6a - Toronto, Canada. We get a pretty long summer.

I guess these things will bloom in the fall when it gets cooler.

I have since made a decision on them. I put some in a big pot with other stuff for the table garden and some out in a new patch I dug out.

I'll just watch and see what they do, then transplant them into pots in the fall - if I'm successful and they all take I'll give some away as gifts, 'cause I don't really have a lot of windowsill space - things in here are subject to Skitter's bad moods - if something's in her way, she'll boot it off so she can sit there - or she'll have her nose in it at all times - she's already gotten her own way about my little window garden by the desk here. I put everything out on the table garden - 'cept for the African violet. That has to stay in here - they don't like to get their leaves wet.

#31762 June 19th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Fer heaven's sake! I've repeated myself again - I already told about splitting up the Washingtons - sorry about that.

Here's the pics . . .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard