This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31500 July 29th, 2005 at 09:31 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been reading up on Hibiscus and have found in many cases that it can be a year long plant.

So my question is, I have seeds and wanted to know if I could start them indoors now and then plant them outside next spring, keeping them as an indoor plant for the rest of the summer and through the winter.

And if I can do this, could I also do it with other varieties?

Thanks

#31501 August 1st, 2005 at 09:26 PM
rose of Sharon, Hibiscus, Syriacus, isn't a rose but its large and nectar atract from hummingbirds and tiny insects.
The flowers on this shrub (rose of Sharon it's a shrub) including whitwe, pink, red and pyurple colors (in my contry Roumania - South East Europe predominant is red variety so if you want send me a some seeds I thanks-ful). Hibiscus Syriacus it's a perennial woody shrub who blooming late summer to early fall. hibiscus Siriacus it's native from pakistan and claming full sun.
So:
the culture a rose of Sharon is propagated primarily by rooted stem cuttings, but also by seeds. Prefer moist, well drained soils suplemented with organic matter in full sun, but is very adaptable to various soils, soil pHs, soil compact dought and pollution (and ist therefore urban tolerant).
seed collection is easy. Allow the flowers to fade, do not shear back or prune the bush after flowering. seed pods are somewhat tear-shaped, fat and nearly an inch across, immature pods are medium green. When mature they turn dusty brown and split apart with a star shaped opening. Remove the mature pods and allow to dry for a few days to ease with seed removal. Several dried pods can be placed in a tightly lidded plastic container to be shaken, the rattling will loosen and release the seeds from the pods.

#31502 August 1st, 2005 at 09:31 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, thanks for all of that information. I have been doing a lot of reading and learning about the plants.

Still wondering if I could give it a head start by starting indoors over the winter.

#31503 August 1st, 2005 at 10:38 PM
you could start them,but they will go dormant& then re awaken in spring.I have done this.

#31504 August 1st, 2005 at 10:48 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much! Does it make for a larger plant once spring does hit or would I get the same by sowing seeds come spring?

Link Copied to Clipboard